Thursday, March 11, 2021

Mystery by the Sea by @BrightVerity #BookReview

 


OMG! What an incredible read! Where to start? This book smacks a bit of an Agatha Christie (of whom I'm a huge fan) novel, with a slew of suspects that need to be whittled down and the correct conclusion deduced. The author (or should I say, authors, as it's a husband-and-wife writing duo) did a great job of also making me feel like I was by the sea. I love imagining the sound of gulls and the crashing of waves. I also love thinking about the smell of the salty air...

But what can I say? I have a weak spot for historical British cozy mysteries and for mysteries that take place next to water, so when I saw this book up on offering on NetGalley, I knew I wouldn't be able to wait to get started. And, boy, it did not disappoint! I read this entire book in a few sittings--and that says A LOT for me. When I devour a book that quickly it only means one thing: I was so enraptured that I couldn't put it down!

Eleanor Swift is turning thirty, and she's certainly an interesting and addictive character. She's eccentric (she talks to herself in third person), and she's a definite foodie! I don't know how she doesn't put on weight eating the way she does. LOL

She has close relationships with her staff, especially her dear butler, Mr. Clifford. Their relationship is so incredibly special that you can feel the warmth coming off the pages. With that said, it was like they were real people, not just cardboard cariactures passing across the page.

This was my first Verity Bright novel, and without real need to say it, my first Eleanor Swift mystery. This story stands on its own, but you might become so addicted to the characters that if you're starting here, you'll find yourself going back to the beginning and picking up books 1-4! I just very well may do that myself.

I received an advanced reading copy of this book for honest review. Thank you to the author, Bookouture, and NetGalley.

Buy on Amazon Canada.