Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Behind the Scenes Interview with Author @RebeccaRohman1

by Rebecca Rohman

A Contemporary Romance with Elements of Suspense 

Chella Noon's life isn't her own. Her success as a Marketing Executive in the cosmetic division of an international conglomerate is overshadowed by a series of tragic events from a decade ago. With no family, few trusted friends and years spent on the run, she opens herself up to the possibility of a future with a sexy new real estate investor despite escalating threats from a psychotic ex determined to torment her. 

Mitch Mariani never met a deal he couldn't close. So when Chella walks into his life, he will stop at nothing to prove he is worthy of her trust. But as Chella's past catches up to them and danger exposes his well-guarded secrets, his heart may not be the only thing at risk of a tragic end.


Behind the scenes...

I understand that Uncorked is your first book. Tell us about the process and your viewpoint on it. What did you learn? What processed did you love? What parts not so much?

I began writing this book over a decade and a half ago to entertain myself. I never saw myself as a writer, but fifteen years later, I came across the file on my computer and decided this was a project I needed to complete. I needed to finish what I had started.

The funny thing is that so much had changed from when I started writing this book. The technology, the times, in many ways the culture… I had to rewrite many details to bring the book current. Pagers became cellphones, wallet photos became impromptu photos taken with a cell phone, etc. After proudly completing it, I got the guts to send my baby out to a professional editor, someone who had written books and knew so much more than I about the business of writing a book. The thought was she would just edit it. However, I got loads more than I bargained for…

My first review was horrible.  It took me a day and a half to recover from her critique. Then I got up, dusted myself off and decided I could approach this in two ways: Give up and let the file occupy space on my hard drive, or take both the negative, and the positive comments and start over. She became my mentor, told me what worked, what didn’t, and what I needed to work on.

In a matter of months under her guidance, I ate, slept, and breathed Uncorked. I would lie in bed for hours at night thinking about how the plot would twist and turn.  There were many nights where I did not sleep at all because I was so eager to get my thoughts down on paper.

It’s amazing how much information is available on the World Wide Web. From reading, to watching videos, to interviewing individuals, I’d sit up for hours researching everything from law, crime and culture to exotic locations, jobs and medical diseases. I took the time to research how difficult situations in one’s life shape their psyche, how people interact with others and how they form relationships. I loved that process. While this book is fiction, the issues the characters deal with are very real.

The hardest parts of the book for me to write were the areas where I wanted the reader to have an emotional response— to cry. I know based on feedback I was successful in some areas, but in others not so much, and in areas I didn’t expect readers to cry, some actually did.

In the end, I produced a book that I am proud of. I realized that I enjoy the process of writing, from thinking of creative ways to use words, to doing the necessary research to make those words come alive. This process made me mostly discover something about myself. I enjoy creating stories that take me into a different place, a world other my own— A world I hope others will enjoy as well.

What was your inspiration behind this story?

Many of the events in the book were actually inspired by a paper I was writing for school on the abuse of women. It wasn’t until I started writing a previous guest blog post that I realized I started this book about the same time. Some of the issues I had researched for that paper, I went on to explore them in Uncorked. To a much smaller degree, I had experienced some of the issues in the book as well. Whether it was my own personal experience, or the experience of others, I now realize that what was going on in my life at the time influenced some of the difficult issues and experiences the characters in the story went through.

What genre would you say this book best falls into?
Contemporary Romance/Suspense

What can readers expect when they open the book? Something that isn’t included in the book blurb.

Readers can expect lots of romance, many highs and lows and unexpected twists and turns for both Mitch and Chella.

If this book were a movie, what would its rating be?
R -       Adult themes
Adult activity
Some hard language
Some intense violence
Nudity
Sexual content

From the sound of the book description, Chella is a strong woman but has little support around her. Where does she draw this strength? I understand it would be internal, but what about her background, does she pull from this? What specifically?

Much of the hardships in Chella’s life, she’s kept secret. The biggest hardship that forced her to become independent was the death of her parents at a very young age.

What are Chella’s greatest strengths, and greatest weaknesses?

It can be argued that one of her greatest strengths, which is her independence, can also be her greatest weakness. Because she was forced to take care of herself from a young age, she became self-sufficient, and independent. That independence however is the very thing that causes her to keep people at bay. That said, she is also selfless and she loves deeply— a strength, but very stubborn— a weakness.

It sounds like she chose poorly when it came to boyfriends in the past. I’m sure she’s more tentative when it comes to moving on.  What about Mitch makes him irresistible— besides his looks?

He’s attentive, caring, and relentless despite her efforts to push him away. He’s willing to be there for her knowing that she has demons from her past that she’s afraid to face, and of which he does not completely know all the details. Mitch, is completely different to other men she dated. Unlike all the others, he refused to abandon her even when threatened.

Typically an author incorporates a little of themselves into their stories. Did you draw similarities from people around you for the characters, maybe a food they like to eat, a situation they find themselves in, or something else? If so, will you share with us?

I did sales and marketing for a wine distributor in the past, some of the brands I sold and appreciated are mentioned on numerous occasions in Uncorked. Some of the destinations mentioned in the book I’ve either visited, or are places I wish to see some day.

If you could be any of the characters in this book, who would it be and why?
It would probably be a combination of the characters – Craig for his wisdom, Vicky’s spirit, Mitch because of his relentlessness and determination, and Chella’s big heart.

What are you currently working on?  Can readers expect more from you soon?
Love, Lies & The D.A due out in the first half of 2014.

Here’s a blurb for my next book - Love, Lies & The D.A. Due out in 2014

Jada McLean is about to get married in nine days when she walks in on her fianc√© in a little more than a compromising position. Days later, she’s on a trip that she intends to be relaxing and a prelude to her fresh start when she runs into the rude, obnoxious, but gorgeous Jonathan Kole.

Jonathan Kole is San Francisco’s newest District Attorney. When he finds himself deeply attracted to a stunning beauty, he has no idea that she’s about to get into in BIG trouble with the law- and he’ll be the one presiding over her trial. To make matters worse, his father is the lawyer representing her in the high-profile case.

When a series of events force them together over New Year’s weekend, Jonathan’s feelings and ethics will come into question, while Jada comes to terms with the fact that she is falling for the man that will be responsible for attempting to put her behind bars… Little do they know that they're both about to fall into a whirlwind so deep, it will send both their lives spiraling out of control.

And, one of the most important questions, where can readers buy Uncorked?


Where can readers connect with you online? List links to your Twitter, Facebook, Website, Blog, etc.