Saturday, April 27, 2013

"My dog Pete is too lazy to go on walks most days" - Author @PMorrisonYork


What is your name?
Paul Morrison

Tell us about you.

I live in York, England with my wife Andrea and  our three children.
I am a big Swindon Town Football club fan, and in the summer I play cricket for a local team.
The White Swan is my first novel, but hopefully there will be more to come

Tell us about your book.

Johnny Jordan is a lovable psychic entertainer, wowing audiences whilst boosting his own ever growing ego! When a grieving family, in his home town of York, contact him to speak with their murdered loved one from beyond the grave he can’t help but get involved. Way over his head lacking any psychic ability and facing the biggest performance of his career, he wades in believing he can solve the murder that has baffled the police for over a year. Risking not only himself but also his young, but far more able, cousin, the mystery holds a twist that neither of them could predict leaving Johnny Jordan in mortal danger.
This is a light hearted modern day mystery written in a traditional style.

What inspired you to write this book?

I was having a discussion with my wife, who said that a psychic who investigates murders would make a good story.  I thought that it would be pointless, as from the readers perspective, all they would have to do would be to consult with the spirit world.  However I thought that a fake psychic who was desperately trying to solve a murder, while making out that he was receiving messages from the other side would be a more interesting premise.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

A light hearted, but interesting story featuring a well rounded believable hero, in a fake psychic kind of a way.  There are some nice one liners between the two main characters and some twists and turns along the way.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

Finishing the book.  But I also like the way that Johnny the main character comes across, even though he's not a hero in the true sense, people say that they found themselves rooting for him to solve the murder, and get the glory

Who is your favorite author and why?

Lots and lots I'm afraid, I really like the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom, and obviously Ian Rankin's Rebus books.  My all time favourite though is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

The only advice I would give is to ignore all advice from other people, and just write the book that is in your heart, and everything else will take care of itself afterwards.

What is your favorite quote?

Heaven knows I'm miserable now ~Morrisey

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

My wife tells me that Johnny Jordan is a psychic entertainer version of myself, so it would be dead easy for me, unless he was giving a show, the pressure of a live performance would terrify me though.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

As Johnny is similar to me it would have to be Brad Pitt or some other Hollywood heartthrob.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

I am writing the second book at present, in which Johnny gets a television series on the strength of solving the first case.

What does writing mean to you?

Writing is the ultimate release when it's going well, and torture when the words aren't flowing, but it's like everything else, there is good and bad days.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) My dog Pete is too lazy to go on walks most days
2) I've broken one of my fingers twice playing cricket
3) My Grandfather played professional football for Swindon Town
4) I got chased by a giant bull Sea Lion on the Galapagos
5) I have showered witha Government Minister

Where to connect online

Twitter: @PMorrisonYork
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/paul.morrison.927758
Website:  http://www.paulmorrison.co.uk/
Blog: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Morrison/e/B00B4IOULW/


FEATURED BOOK:  The White Swan : Introducing Johnny Jordan
Genre: Mystery
Buy on Amazon 

__
Celebrating Authors is run solely by best-selling Kindle author Carolyn Arnold.  You can find her books on Amazon for Kindle and in print, as well as other fine online retailers in ebook format.