Monday, April 15, 2013

"I walked by Larry King as he hocked a loogie" - Interview with @HatfieldMelanie


What is your name?
Melanie Hatfield

Tell us about you.

I am a Los Angeles based screenwriter turned novelist who specializes in high concept comedy.

Tell us about your book.

“Kingdom of the Snark: The Quest for the Sword” is the first part of the Righteous Trilogy. A teenage Quester named Renee the Righteous must find a long-lost sword in order to save the monks who raised her from bloodthirsty nuns. It’s written in the style of a “ye old” fantasy, but for the entertainment of adults.

What inspired you to write this book?

I had a daydream about a sword-wielding teenage warrior fighting her way through a crazy labyrinth. At the end, there was a sword bobbing upon a pedestal. She was thrilled to have found the sword, and then my daydream ended. All I could think was: Why would she be so happy to find a sword when she already had one? I wrote the novel to answer that question.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

Everything readers know about classic fantasy stories is turned completely upside down and inside out.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

This novel, since it’s the first thing I’ve written that has seen the light of day.

Who is your favorite author and why?

Douglas Adams. I was instantly pulled into his “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” series by his zany wit and the fun that came from such madness. He inspired me to become a writer.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Writing is a craft that must be developed over time, like a fine red wine. Take classes, join writing groups, and never stop developing your skills.

What is your favorite quote?

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.” (From “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” naturally.)

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

None of them! I treat my characters like crap. Well, at least the human ones. Junior the Eagle has a sweet life. Maybe I’d be him for a day and harass my human characters for food.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

I would dye Dakota Fanning’s hair red for the role of Renee the Righteous. I would cast Chris Colfer (or someone similar) as her hapless Questing Partner, Guy Smokes. I would love to cast Benedict Cumberbatch as the vain Lord Asher Dark and Meryl Streep as the evil Sister Ferriera, Mother Superior.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

Each part of the Righteous Trilogy is a parody of a typical fantasy series. Part One, “The Quest for the Sword,” is a grand build up that sets up the series. Part Two, “An Affair with Wizards” (to be published in late spring/early summer of this year), is the part of the series where everyone gets their romance on. Part Three, “Kingdom Smackdown” (to be published in 2014), is the part of the story where the entire kingdom fights one last epic battle between good and evil.

What does writing mean to you?

It’s my #1 reason for getting out of bed.

Anything else you want to share with us?

I would share my gum, but I don’t have enough for the entire class.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1)     My first writing piece was published when I was ten. It was a poem for my mom that my local paper printed for a special Mother’s Day spread.
2)      In college, I made a short comedy titled “Safe Sex with Dr. Seuss,” about two teenagers who learn the importance of safe sex through the rhyming scheme of Dr. Seuss. It won an award.
3)      I can pop my knuckles at any time, and I’m not afraid to do so.
4)      I blacked out when I met Eric Idle of “Monty Python” fame, but I got an autograph and a T-shirt.
5)      I walked by Larry King as he hocked a loogie and it almost landed on my shoe.

Where to connect online

Twitter: @HatfieldMelanie
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melanie-Hatfield/145348038915512?sk=wall&filter=12
Website:  www.melaniehatfield.com
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/Melanie-Hatfield/e/B008DVNM2G/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1


FEATURED BOOK:  Kingdom of the Snark: The Quest for the Sword
Genre: Fantasy/Comedy
Buy on Amazon