Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Alaskan mountain men - tops on the travel wish list!" - Author @AmalfiBlueBook


What is your name?
Lisa Fantino

Tell us about you.

I was born a writer and it has only taken me 25+ years as a career journalist, along with a stint in law school, to finally become a published author.

Tell us about your book.

As a seasoned New York City news reporter, Lisa Fantino has seen the world and is not shocked by much.  Yet, when her world is tragically altered, Lisa realizes the brevity of life makes the urgency to explore her own dreams all the more pressing.
So, with the burning desire to be raptured, she sets forth to the land of her DNA to explore the myth of the Italian lover.  She journeys to the romantic hills of the Amalfi Coast, mysterious Rome and ethereal Venice.  Researching un bacione at a time, Lisa learns what lies beneath the Latin facade.  Lust mixes with love; friendship mixes with family; and Italian is charmingly mixed with English.  Mamma mia!
Along the way life’s lessons are sprinkled with pasta, passion & molto pacienza, in the humorous true story of an expat in Sorrento.  Hop on board as Lisa discovers that true happiness lies within. . . while rapture, on the other hand, lies with tall, dark and OMG!

What inspired you to write this book?

Life's route is quite circuitous.  You often wind up in places and situations you never could have imagined.  When it gets too much, you hit the brakes and see what happens.  For me, that journey led me to Italy and in the solitude of the moment, I found a new peace.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

A debunking of the myth of the Italian lover.  Men are men and while cultures are different across this globe, hormones drive the male ego.  I am quite convinced of that.  Some men are more passionate and charming and others are just cads.  There are some of each kind everywhere you turn.  The Italians say it with flourish and silly women buy into the script.  Yet, most Italian men could really use a bit of schooling when it comes to charming women and really loving them.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

That I was able to make a career at doing something I love which exposed me to tremendous opportunities and introduced me to amazing people.

Who is your favorite author and why?

Anne Perry.  I am sure that I lived another life, or two, in Victorian England and if I did, Perry's character, Caroline Pitt, and I would get into so much trouble together.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Don't expect to get rich.  Don't expect anyone else, except maybe your Mom if you're very lucky, to feel as passionate about your work as you do.  Write because it allows you a vehicle for expression and not because you are trying to convince someone of its importance.

What is your favorite quote?

It changes daily.  Right now:
"This too shall pass."

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

My first book, Amalfi Blue, is a memoir.........so she is me!
As to the novel I have sitting on my computer, the protagonist is an investigative journalist.  Are you seeing a pattern here?  :)

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

I am giving this serious thought as I write and have been for awhile because I so believe this will be on the silver screen before long.  2 or 3 actresses come to mind including Penelope Cruz, Sandra Bullock or Katherine Heigel

What does writing mean to you?

It is the air that I breathe.  It sounds cliche but writing just flows out of me and there is very little editing in the process.  My family nurtured and encouraged that from an early age and the skills were honed in a network newsroom on tight deadlines.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I've been told I can salsa like a Latina
2) I only pray that's true one day!
3) Dark chocolate is better than almost anything on the planet.
4) If I get to travel in space, there had better be dark chocolate on Venus.
5) Alaskan mountain men - tops on the travel wish list!

Where to connect online

Twitter: AmalfiBlueBook
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/AmalfiBlue
Website:  http://www.amalfiblu.com
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/author/lisafantino


FEATURED BOOK:  Amalfi Blue, lost & found in the south of Italy
Genre: memoir
Buy on Amazon