Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"I hate wearing high heels" - Author @SydneyALogan #romance


What is your name?
Sydney Logan

Tell us about you.

Sydney Logan holds a Master’s degree in Elementary Education and makes her home in the hills of East Tennessee. With the 2012 release of her first novel, Lessons Learned, she made the transition from bookworm to author. She has a very unhealthy obsession with music, and her iPod is filled with everything from Johnny Cash to Eminem. When she isn't reading or writing, she enjoys playing piano and relaxing on her front porch with her wonderful husband and their very spoiled cat.


Tell us about your book.

English teacher Sarah Bray never thought she’d return to Sycamore Falls, but a traumatic event at her inner-city school leaves her desperate for the sanctuary of her mountain home. By returning to her roots, an older and wiser Sarah hopes to deal with the demons of her present and confront the ghosts of her past.
She discovers a kindred spirit in Lucas Miller, a teacher from New York with demons of his own. As the newest faculty members of Sycamore High School, the two quickly become friends – bonding through Lucas’s culture shock and their mutual desire to build new lives. When they open their wounded hearts to each other, their friendship effortlessly evolves into romance.
Their love is put to the test when Matt, the quarterback of the football team, shares his deepest secret with Sarah. When the conservative community finds out, Sarah and Lucas – along with the town of Sycamore Falls – are schooled in the lessons of acceptance, tolerance, and love.

What inspired you to write this book?

Bullying is such an epidemic in our society, and I wanted to write a love story that shows that you can disagree with someone's point of view and still treat them with respect.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

Readers can expect a wounded but strong heroine, a sweet and kind hero, and a love story without crude language or graphic love scenes. They can also expect to to find a realistic and strong social message that encourages tolerance and respect.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

I think my greatest accomplishment is my connection with my readers. I have a strong presence on Twitter and Facebook and am able to stay connected to them. I love talking to readers!

Who is your favorite author and why?

This is always such a hard question for me to answer, but I usually say Nicholas Sparks. He always tugs at my heartstrings, and that's the kind of writer I want to be.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

If you are sending our queries, be sure to read the submissions guidelines. That seems like a no-brainer, but it really is important. Also, don't sign anything without an attorney. Again, that seems obvious, but I've heard of writers signing contracts without seeking legal advice. Be smart!

What is your favorite quote?

"You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some choice in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” - Augustus Waters, The Fault in our Stars by John Green

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

I would want to switch lives with Howie. He was a true best friend.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

Zachary Levi as Lucas Miller and Rachel McAdams as Sarah Bray.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

It is part of the Appalachian Heart Collection, a series of books set in fictional towns in the Appalachian Mountains.

What does writing mean to you?

Writing is my creative outlet. Some days, the creativity doesn't flow as well as others, but it's my constant. Besides my family, it is the one thing I can always count on to make me smile.

Anything else you want to share with us?

What projects do you have planned for 2013?
I am publishing my second book in the Appalachian Heart Collection. It's called Mountain Charm and is slated for a late summer 2013 release.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I'm good at Texas Hold 'Em Poker.
2) I play piano.
3) There are 800 songs on my iPhone.
4) I am addicted to SongPop.
5) I hate wearing high heels.

Where to connect online

Twitter: @SydneyALogan
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/sydney.logan.148
Website:  http://www.sydneylogan.com
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/Sydney-Logan/e/B0096LZK90/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1356660357&sr=1-1


FEATURED BOOK:  Lessons Learned
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Buy on Amazon