Wednesday, January 30, 2013

" I am a lover of all dogs" - Author @martyinmaui #nonfiction


What is your name?
Marquita Herald

Tell us about you.

I am a transformation guide, the author of 4 books on the art of living life by design, and the creator of the life by design blog IGG-Tips, Tools & Tantalizing Ideas.
I write to inspire readers to reach a little beyond what's comfortable to achieve goals that matter, refuse to accept simply "getting along" in life out of fear or limiting beliefs, and to cultivate the skills to become stronger and more resilient.
My professional background includes a successful 20 year career in hotel sales and marketing followed by a decade as a life and small business coach.

URL to Author pic of you (OPTIONAL)

Tell us about your book.

Unexpected trials will always be a part of life … a lost set of keys, the stress of a botched work assignment, or the heartache of a full-blown health or relationship crisis.  If we can accept that it is unrealistic to deny or run away from life's inevitable challenges, we're left with the only question then that really matters, how we will choose to view adversity … obstacle or opportunity.
When we make the choice to not be defined by adversity, to look at all experiences as stepping stones for growth and greater long-term resilience, we are able to approach life on a whole new level, and in the process realign ourselves with what is really important in our lives.
Stepping Stones to Greater Resilience will help you identify the areas that need attention, and show you the way to cultivate greater resilience in life than you ever thought possible.

What inspired you to write this book?

A lot of people grow up in dysfunctional families, in fact I often joke about how fear doesn’t just run in my family, it gallops. At some point as a kid I became fascinated watching the people around me deal with fear and trauma and curious about why people react so differently to similar difficulties.
What brought it all together for me was a man I met several years ago by the name of W. Mitchell. Mitchell has overcome not one, but two devastating accidents that left him in a wheel chair, the fingers burned off his hands, and scars over most of his body. Mitchell’s motto is “It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do about it.” He not only made me aware of the power of resilience but inspired me to learn more and share the value of cultivating these skills with others.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

It’s really more what they shouldn’t expect - a quick fix. I am very up front about the fact that creating meaningful life change begins by doing the work to come to terms with who you are, and what is really important to you.
From there I review each of the most important resiliency skills and provide plenty of examples and exercises to help readers’ pinpoint specific areas they’d like to strengthen. I’ve also included inspirational stories and quotations throughout the book.
The truth is many people will view this process as just being too much trouble; but those who choose to make the effort are the ones who will ultimately end up living the most fulfilling and satisfying lives - no regrets, no apologies.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

At the moment I’d have to say having my life design blog recently named a Top 50 Personal Development Blog for 2012. The recognition itself was terrific, but what was most rewarding was the feedback from readers of my blog about how much they enjoy what I write, and how it’s made a difference in their lives. For someone who writes about personal transformation, there is no higher compliment.

Who is your favorite author and why?

I don’t really have one favorite author because I challenge myself to read many different genres; in fact I even enjoy tapping into the very old journals and scripts available at Project Guttenberg. But as far as authors who write in the same genre, then I’d have to say John Maxwell. I like his sense of humor, and I especially like his emphasis on making the most of each and every day.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

I have two suggestions. 
First, just do it already. Seriously, I’m in a lot of writer/author groups and I see people posting the same questions in different groups trying to muster the courage to finally sit down and write or publish. The first book may suck, or it may be a runaway hit. The point is you'll never know until you do it. Editors NEVER buy manuscrips that are left on the shelf at home.
Second, think of what you're doing as a business. All writers think of what they do as art, but the smart ones know writing is a business; and the really smart ones think like entrepreneurs. Create a marketing plan and sales strategy, and think of your name as your brand.

What is your favorite quote?

Another tricky one for me because I collect quotes; in fact I published a quote book earlier this year. But I do have a favorite quote as relates to being an author.
Each writer is born with a repertory company in his head. Shakespeare has perhaps 20 players … I have 10 or so, and that’s a lot. As you get older, you become more skillful at casting them. ~Gore Vidal
I completely relate to this because I will often lay awake at night and write articles or whole stories in my head … I keep telling myself that one of these days I’m going to give fiction a try and give life to some of those great characters I've created!

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

I write nonfiction, so I don’t have characters to refer to.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

Again, I write nonfiction, so I’m afraid I don’t see this book coming to a theater to you anytime soon.

What does writing mean to you?

I’ve always been a writer; it’s just part of who I am. When I wasn’t writing for myself, my employer of the moment made sure I was writing for them. I’ve written everything from sales brochures, to scripts for travel industry promo films to a book on nutritional programs a local Hawaiian nonprofit.  I’m more comfortable writing than speaking, which is probably why I enjoy blogging so much.

Anything else you want to share with us?

What motivates you?
There is nothing quite like the adrenalin rush that comes from someone telling me I can't do something. In fact if you look at the companies I've worked for over the years there's a distinct pattern of me joining failing businesses and bringing them back from the brink. I seem to be naturally attracted to tackling seemingly impossible tasks.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) 1.       I love taking off on road trips and just winging it. In fact a few years ago I spent a week traveling throughout the South of France without a reservation or a plan. It was amazing!
2) 2.       I’m a passionate advocate of grassroots volunteer movements and community service and  have chaired 3 County Food Drives as well as dozens of fund-raising events.
3) 3.       I am a lover of all dogs, especially my adopted pal Lucy.
4) 4.       I’m originally from So. California but I moved to Maui so long ago that I’ve now lived here far longer than I did on the mainland.
5) 5.       I absolutely love AMCs Walking Dead!

Where to connect online

Twitter: @martyinmaui
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/itsawriterslife
Website:  http://www.inspiredgiftgiving.com
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/Marquita-Herald/e/B007VPR0KK


FEATURED BOOK:  Stepping Stones to Greater Resilience
Genre: Nonfiction/Personal Transformation
Buy on Amazon