Monday, December 24, 2012

"I'm freakishly obsessed with superheroes" - Author @MichelleBellon


Tell us about you.

My name is Michelle Bellon.  I'm a married mother of four children, ages ranging from four to seventeen. I only started to write seriously about four years ago. Before that, I worked in the medical field as a registered nurse.

Tell us about your book.

Trying to escape a horrific past, Shyla has immersed herself in life as a tough, sassy cop in the bustle of LA. When the case of a lifetime takes her back to her hometown of Redding, she is thrown into a world of organised crime, deceit, and bitter reminders of her childhood.
As Shyla’s path crosses that of Brennan, an unwitting and troubled sidekick to the ringleader she’s intent on taking down, she is forced to re-evaluate everything she believes about herself, her job, and what she knows about right and wrong.
Can she face the demons of her upbringing and learn to trust again? Her life will depend on it.

What inspired you to write this book?

It's funny but this book came to me as one singular scene. It was vivid and revealed to me all the emotions and traits of the two main characters. I built the rest of the novel around that. The odd thing is that that particular scene didn't even make it into the book. There is a scene that resembles it, but as the characters evolved they told it much differently than I had originally envisioned it. I love it when that happens.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

Initially they are going to be introduced to two very flawed and broken characters who see themselves as outcasts of society. But as their pasts are revealed the reader will begin to understand and root for them along the way. It's very dark at times and there is a lot of underlying sexual tension between Shyla and Brennan. Hot!

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

This last September I won the Pinnacle Book Achievement Award for my YA, Embracing You, Embracing Me, so that was a great moment for me.

Who is your favorite author and why?

This question is so impossible for me to answer because I read so many different authors and genres. I guess if I had to pin it down it would have to be one of three. I loved Diana Gabaldon's Outlander, Cormac McCarthy's The Road blew me away, and Jodi Picoult is amazing with the way she can evoke emotion through a powerful story.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Yes. I feel that anyone who wants to do this should really do their homework on how the industry works. By that I mean that they should have a full understanding of how much work they will need to put into the marketing and promotion aspect that is required in order to get your book into the hands of the reader.
I had no idea and was frankly overwhelmed and even disheartened when I began to understand what all that entailed. It is work, work, work.
That said, it's all worth it and once you put yourself out there you will meet a lot of incredible people, other writers, reviewers, agents, publishers, editors, etc.

What is your favorite quote?

History repeats itself because no one listened the first time.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

Rogue Alliance is book one of the Shyla Ericson series but I can't tell you any more about it or I'd have to kill you. Just kidding. Or am I?

What does writing mean to you?

Writing means tapping into that creative energy. It is an indescribable phenomenon that allows you to open your mind to the possibilities of telling a story that otherwise would have never been. Once you tap into that creativity, characters and settings and ideas come to life. As the words flow, that energy moves through you and you can feed off it. It is very satisfying.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I love rollercoasters.
2) I'm freakishly obsessed with superheroes, especially Superman and Batman.
3) I can't function without my cup of coffee in the morning. If I could mainline it, I would.
4) My children are teaching me more than I will ever teach them. They are a gift.
5) Bad drivers make me want to stab myself in the eye.

Where to connect online

Twitter: @MichelleBellon
Facebook:  Michelle Bellon Author Page
Website:  michellebellon.com
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/Michelle-Bellon/e/B004TZ0CUK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1


FEATURED BOOK:  Rogue Alliance
Genre: contemporary suspense/crime
Buy on Amazon