Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Author Interview with Michael Mullin @TaleSpinsBooks


Tell us about you.

I'm a native New Englander living in Pasadena. I'm a freelance writer, mostly copywriting/brand development. My 11-year-old, boy/girl twins pretty much run my life, despite my best efforts to appear as if I am running theirs.

Tell us about your book.

"8" is the previously untold story of the previously unknown 8th dwarf, named Creepy. He is banished to the basement for being different and, well, weird. Yet he plays a vital - and of course previously unknown - role in the popular tale of Snow White (whose title character is an intruder Creepy refers to as "the Maid").

What inspired you to write this book?

While working at Disney, I wrote two Tim Burton-approved sequel stories to The Nightmare Before Christmas. "8" was meant to be my original follow-up story, but the Nightmare books never got published. So I self published and made "8" the first in the "TaleSpins" trilogy. (and left Disney.)

What can readers expect when they open your book?

Rhyming verse (yes, you read that right) that is never forced or lame. No jumbling sentence structure to get a certain word at the end.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

Besides getting Tim Burton's approval and meeting him (His office called me. How cool is that?), I think being recognized by the WGA's "Written By" magazine for a spec animation screenplay I wrote.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Keep up on the business side of publishing as well as your own creative workflow. The industry is changing rapidly these days, and not in any one direction. Learn what's going on and take that knowledge seriously.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

I think Jason Schwartzman would make a great Creepy the 8th dwarf.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

"8" is the first in my "TaleSpins" trilogy. I'm half-way through the 3rd story at the moment. The 2nd book is an original fairy tale called "The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny". It's about a teen princess who hires the witch from "The Frog Prince" to get revenge on a Mean Girl at school. My recently successful Kickstarter™ campaign means the 3 stories are going to be published in one hardcover collection in 2013 AND "8: The Untold Story" will be published as a comic book too!

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I eat ice cream from a coffee mug.
2) I taught both preschool and college.
3) I'm a major Boston Bruins fan.
4) I collect decks of playing cards.
5) I walk my kids to school every day (1/2 mile).

Where to connect online

Twitter: @TaleSpinsBooks
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/8-The-Untold-Story/236407236402914
Website:  http://talespinsbooks.wordpress.com
Blog:


FEATURED BOOK:  8: The Untold Story
Genre: YA Fairytale Retelling
Buy on Amazon