Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I love taking long walks in the woods - Interview @writersangst


Tell us about your book.

Dead End is a short story.  I first began it as a character study but Eleanor (Ellie) didn't let go of me until I told her story, a story that packs a surprising punch - no one was more surprised than myself.  The story takes a look at poverty, friendship, ambition and love through Ellie's eyes.  She is a character who still haunts me.

What inspired you to write this book?

I wanted to sharpen my writing skills and started off by doing a character development exercise and it blossomed from there.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

My hope is they will be drawn into Ellie's story.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

This is a difficult question for me to answer as I'm still journeying as a writer and have so much more to learn.  I believe 'staying with it' has been my biggest accomplishment to date.

Who is your favorite author and why?

I'm, an English Lit major and have never been in want of reading a good author.  I love well written books in all genres however mystery is my favourite.  Pushed to the wall, I guess I would have to say Steinbeck is at the top of my list.  He's not a mystery writer but Grapes of Wrath still haunts me.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Have confidence in yourself, don't look for others for praise for it's fleeting.  Believe in yourself, your abilities and put everything you have into the writing challenge.

What is your favorite quote?

'I grab fate by the throat' - Beethoven

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

As much as I was intrigued by Ellie, I certainly wouldn't want to live her life for even one day. I have written other books under a pen name and I guess I would have to choose Roger, a savvy, wise cracking detective who hides his heart behind his humour.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

I would love to see Judy Dench play Ellie.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

It's a stand alone.

What does writing mean to you?

It means everything to me.  It allows me to grow past my personal inhibitions, to lose myself in a story line and characters, and learn more about what it means to be a human being.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I'm a Canadian.
2) I love to watch ball games.
3) I love to bike and canoe.
4) I love taking long walks in the woods.
5) I love dogs, especially 'Rosie'.

Where to connect online

Twitter: @writersangst

FEATURED BOOK:  Dead End
Genre: Mystery
Buy on Amazon