Friday, November 2, 2012

I am terrified of bugs. Not just spiders but all bugs. - Interview with @ChantelRhondeau


Tell us about you.

I once thought a great mystery or fantasy book with strong romantic themes was the highest level of reading bliss. After reading my first romantic suspense novel, I never looked back. Before long, the need to create my own stories took over. I spend my days in the clinical profession of medical transcriptionist, but my passion is in the blissful hours spent with my characters in the evenings.
I live in the western United States, and when I'm not writing I love playing cards with my family and snuggling with my lazy kitties.

Tell us about your book.

A suspected murderess flees her former life in search of tranquility, but the past refuses to die, threatening to destroy her new-found happiness.
Lilly Price is an abused woman on the run, but she can’t hide forever. Desperate to escape public scrutiny following accusations that she hired a hit man to kill her fiancĂ©, Lilly hopes to rebuild her life in a new town.
Widowed Zach Woodbridge is in no hurry to find another bride. He longs for a peaceful summer, writing at his lakeside cottage. Things change after an introduction to his grandmother’s intriguing new assistant, Lilly.
When Lilly’s secrets are revealed, can their fragile relationship weather the storm?  And when a man from her past wishes to reclaim Lilly, using any force necessary, can she and Zach protect the people they love?
CONTENT WARNING: Violence, mild language, sizzling love scenes.

What inspired you to write this book?

Lilly's story called to me. It was something I couldn't NOT write. Domestic violence has always been an issue near to my heart. I've always empathized with people in that situation. I wanted to tell a story about someone getting past this, moving on with their life and becoming stronger then they thought they were. Of course, lots of stuff happens in the middle, but ultimately, I wanted to tell a story of hope and trust and love.

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Find a critique group, take lots of classes, and network with other authors. I have found authors to be the most giving, caring bunch of people around. A great place to connect with others and get critiques online is www.critiquecircle.com I have learned so much since joining - and it is free!

What is your favorite quote?

I actually have two that I love:
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! ~ Audrey Hepburn.
and
"Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." - Lucy Maud Montgomery

What does writing mean to you?

Writing is one of the most important things that I do for myself. It's time spent getting to know myself better. A part of me is included in everything I write, and it forces me to really examine my feelings on certain topics and how I feel about the world in general. In my real life, I'm a very indecisive person and I never like to offer an opinion. In my writing (whether I'm truly arguing my views through my characters or playing devil's advocate and supporting the other side) I have to know my own mind in order to understand my characters. It's been a great self-discovery journey.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) I am a cat lover, but I secretly worry one day I will become the neighborhood "cat lady," as we already have four cats.
2) I was a band geek in high school and played the flute. I miss pep band!
3) I cannot stand to eat at a buffet because I am too worried about germs - I'm just a tad germaphobic. Hand sanitizer is a must at all times!
4) I am obsessed by the paranormal and ghosts. I watch Ghost Hunters all the time on the SyFy channel.
5) I am terrified of bugs. Not just spiders but all bugs. Ladybugs and butterflies are the only exceptions.

Where to connect online

Twitter: @ChantelRhondeau
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ChantelRhondeau
Website:  http://www.chantelrhondeau.com/
Blog: http://www.amazon.com/Chantel-Rhondeau/e/B008ZSM1KQ/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1


FEATURED BOOK:  Always & Forever
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Buy on Amazon