Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Writing is a gift" - #Interview with @PacJac


Tell us about you.
I live in Texas, am a Christian, and love the open road. Freedom. Adventure. I lead a pretty quiet life, but my stories are loaded with adventure, fun, and clean romance. My desire is to write stories that will bring enjoyment, encouragement, and adventure to the reader. I love the old west, horses, and freedom.

Name of your book.
Liberty Belle

Genre
Historical Romance

Tell us about your book.
Liberty Belle is about Liberty Longstreet. She has what I call a coming-alive moment when she realizes she will no longer settle for what her controlling mother has planned for her. She sets out on an adventure to find her freedom and goes west to Denver. Set in 1859. Wade Calder is a sheriff bent on revenge. But things don't quite work out the way he has planned. He falls for Liberty, but has nothing to offer her. Until he takes up the badge he'd thrown down only to find out it could cost Liberty her life.

Buy on Amazon

What inspired you to write this book?

Actually, this book started as a joke. Talking with an editor friend, she said someone in her office wanted a story about a school marm, crippled boy, and a sheriff. I sent an email query and started writing the story. It didn't turn out quite like he wanted, but I love the story.

What can readers expect when they open your book?
A ride with twists and turns, some humor and surprises, and a satisfying ending. The characters are not perfect, but they do grow and learn from the situations they find themselves in.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
To finish a book and have a reader tell me it made them happy. That the story left them inspired. Even changed.

Who is your favorite author and why?
Oh, this is a hard one. Reading is so subjective. Depends on the mood I am in, the kind of story I want to read. Some of my favorites - Lena Nelson Dooley, Karen Whitaker, DiAnn Mills, Meralee Ferrill, Tamera Alexander

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?
Write and write and write. Find out how you like to write - plot and outline or seat of the pants. Study the craft - it does take time to learn.

What is your favorite quote?
One of my favorites is - There is no try, you either do or you don't. I think it is from Star Wars Yoda creature, but I find it to be so true. To me - try is a word with failure attached.

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?
I like Liberty Longstreet from Liberty Belle. She doesn't have the answers but strikes out on her own anyway. (She is very much me. : )

What does writing mean to you?
Writing is a gift. I believe given by my Father in heaven. A talent He has given to me. I don't want to hide it, but write to the best of my ability. To serve Him and the reader.
Anything else you want to share with us?

Celebrating Authors' "Famous Question": Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author
1) I love freedom.
2) I love to laugh.
3) I love animals.
4) I love road trips on the open road.
5) I love my Jesus.

Where to connect online
@PacJac