Thursday, September 6, 2012

If born in another area I would have definitely been a nerd - #Interview with @blackboogiemen


Tell us about you. 
I am the author of Black Boogiemen.  I am also the executive editor of the Insight2Incite Magazine, as well as a co-host of the Insight Radio Show.  Though Black Boogiemen is my first published material, I've been refining my craft for over 20 years.  

I  was born and raised of meager beginnings in the inner city of St. Louis, MO.  Having a natural fervor for learning, I excelled in academics ending with a degree in Biochemistry.  The degree provided the opportunity to work for one of the largest fortune five hundred, agricultural companies in the country.  I worked as an Analytical Protein Biochemist for the past 12 years, earning numerous commendations. 

Logic and intellect have been my natural, innate abilities securing a permanent position within the scientific arena, yet my passion has always been writing.  In turn, I've written for what feels like all of my life.  Because I only wrote for the enjoyment, I never felt the need to show others.  Finishing this masterpiece is when I finally felt obligated and allowed a few readers to critique my work.  The reviews were overwhelming and unanimous.  Everyone said then, exactly what everyone is saying now.  This book is a milestone, a landmark, and one of the most powerful books of the century. 


I've taken strenuous training in proper scientific, technical writing, and I've also written creatively for years.  These two skills culminate into a unique writing style that's leaving readers unable to close this book.  I am now earning my Masters in writing and plan on becoming a college professor.

Tell us about your book. : If a person grows up in the inner city and works hard (good grades, goes to college, earns a substantial degree), the first action this person performs upon reaching a somewhat successful status is LEAVE.  In turn the inner city loses its most important assets, leaving these areas lacking positive role models.  Well, "Black Boogiemen" is a fictional story about a charismatic leader that unites all of these successful men, and forces them to return to the worse parts of the inner city to LIVE. 

This covert team of men (Black Boogiemen) truly bring about change to the inner city.  They first begin to affect the aesthetics, beautifying the neighborhood. They revamp the educational system making it more conducive to the young urban mind.  Finally, they get rid of all of the drug dealers and gangbangers, and they force every urban youth to pull their pants up (or else).  Eventually, the inner city morphs into something comparable to a Utopian Society, free of the nefarious aspects that plague all poor urban areas.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Why did I write  this book? Being honest, I see the deplorable state of most inner cities throughout America.  No matter what state we visit, their urban area is usually the place that contains a preponderance of criminal activity.  And I truly believe that if we as a people continue to neglect these areas, the places and the people will devolve to a place of no return. If action isn't immediate, we will see the continued degradation of our people, our state, and our country.  What are you willing to do to bring peace to your world?  Read this book and it will have you crossing lines you thought you'd never cross.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
When a reader opens this book they can expect to travel into a world they will be too mesmerized to leave.  I can guarantee that any reader will be extremely compelled and quite incapable of leaving this story unfinished.  Expect exposure to ideas that have never been conceived.  Expect controversy on a grand level.  And finally, expect to have a life changing event.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
My greatest inspiration is an idea of a successful me that is quite attainable.  I see him in the mirror day and night, the prospects of a future where I truly live my dreams.  Those thoughts, those dreams, those lifelong goals all combine to make my greatest inspiration.

What are you reading right now?
The Scions of Shannara by Terry Brooks Who are your favorite authors? : Stephen King (I know, so typical) Nathan McCaw, Michael Reaves, Drew Karpyshyn, Walter Mosley

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Getting rave reviews from an old man from India.  He wrote my first and thus far my only piece of fan mail.  He believes that my book will be one the biggest in the world someday.  That showed me how my story transcends any demographic box the title may suggest. After reading his letter, I could not have been more proud of myself than I was in that moment.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
Honestly, it's been really weird.  Getting my book to the masses has been a slow and arduous task, but anyone that takes the time to read it is willing to help in any way they can.  I reiterate, the process has been gruelingly slow, but I can't think of any setbacks.  It's been a consistent forward motion.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
If you want to be a writer. You must write.  It gets no simpler than that!

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author.
1. : If born in another area I would have definitely been a nerd.
2. : I am an absolute transcendentalist and pragmatist all rolled up in one
3. : I love nature
4. : Of all my senses, I truly appreciate my gift of sight.  Life is so beautiful, so I at times sit for hours merely staring out into the forest. 
5. : I love food

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in? 
e-book and hard back copy as well 

Where to buy