Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"I love positive people" - #Interview with @VickieMcKeehan

Tell us about you.
I'm an outdoors nature lover, but have learned that being in my writer's cave brings me the most joy.

Tell us about your book.
The Evil Trilogy -- Three best friends grow up together in Beverly Hills under the dark clouds of murder, drugs and abuse. An evil that began with a forty year old double murder is about to come to light when a stranger shows up, bent on revenge.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Each book in The Evil Trilogy is about the old adage that "family isn't always blood." The idea that Kit, Baylee and Quinn form a family unit of their own early in life in order to get through very difficult childhoods inspired me as an author.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb.
When readers open Just Evil and begin the story they will find flawed characters they didn't expect to like. In that, I mean these people are lifelike, not perfect. None of them are and they all suffer from a history of heartache and betrayal.

Where do you get your ideas?
I get my ideas from life, from struggles, from overcoming the odds.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
Life inspires me. Real people who overcome things in life and go on despite terrific challenges.

What are you reading right now?
I revisit what I call my comfort books, books which I use as go-to stories about family and struggles. My all time favorite author is a woman who no longer writes, LaVyrle Spencer. Her book Morning Glory about Will Parker and Ellie Dinsmore is my all time favorite love story. Quirky characters and oddballs are the kinds of people I never get tired of reading.

Who are your favorite authors?
LaVyrle Spencer, Nora Roberts, Erin McCarthy, Susan Wiggs, Susan Andersen, Sandra Brown, Susan Mallery, LuAnne Rice,   Don't beat me because I left someone out. That's why I don't like making a list because I always leave someone out.

What is your current project?
My next book in the Pelican Pointe series will probably raise some eyebrows. It's something I haven't seen done before so I'm taking a chance, but then that's what I do.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Finishing The Evil Trilogy. The dark parts took a lot out of me at first. Then I concentrated on the positive side of these three women and that helped.  

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
Setbacks? Well, I got dropped by an agent. After crying and eating chocolate for three weeks I had to eventually get past it or succumb to letting someone else dictate whether or not I became a writer. I decided to get past it.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Don't dwell on a scene for too long if it doesn't work. Move past it and go onto another scene that does.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:
1.  I love to garden.
2.  I love playing games.
3.  I love solving mysteries.
4.  I love positive people.
5.  I enjoy good food and eating out with friends.

Connect online 

What format does your book(s) come in?
Kindle, Apple, Kobo, Nook, Sony Amazon

Buy Just Evil (The Evil Trilogy Book One) on Amazon