Saturday, September 8, 2012

"I grow great cactus." - #Interview with @jinxschwartz


Tell us about you.
"Raised in the jungles of Haiti and Thailand, with returns to Texas in-between, Jinx followed her father's steel-toed footsteps into the Construction and Engineering industry in hopes of building dams. Finding all the good rivers taken, she traveled the world defacing other landscapes with mega-projects in Alaska, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico and Mexico.

 Like the protagonist in her mystery series, Hetta Coffey, I was a woman with a yacht—and not afraid to use it—when I met my husband, Mad Dog Schwartz at a yacht club. We opted to become cash-poor cruisers rather than continue chasing the rat, sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge, turned left, and headed for Mexico. We now divide their time between Arizona and Mexico's Sea of Cortez.

Name of your book
Just Add Water (Book 1, Hetta Coffey series)

Genre
Humorous mystery


Tell us about your book.
"Winner: International EPPIE Award for Best Mystery.

Hetta Coffey is a woman with a yacht, and she's not afraid to use it.

She's a globe-trotting civil engineer with swath of failed multi-national affairs in her jet stream.

Plying the San Francisco waterfront, trolling for triceps, her attention is snagged by a parade of passing yachts--especially their predominantly male skippers--and experiences a champagne-induced epiphany: If she had a boat, she could get a man.

In spite of a spectacular ignorance of all things nautical, Hetta buys her dream boat, but shadowy stalker, an inconvenient body, and Hetta's own self-destructive foibles, give a whole new meaning to the phrase ""sink or swim!

What inspired you to write this book?

Some folks say Just Add Water is an autobiography, and in some ways that it true. I did buy a large boat as a life-style change, and boy, did my life change. The series sort of took on a life of its own after Just Add Water introduced Hetta Coffey to the boating world.

What can readers expect when they open your book?

To laugh. If the reader wants humor, mystery, romance and adventure, that is what they will get.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

Getting seven books written, published, and out there for others' enjoyment. Nothing gives me more pleasure than someone saying they like my books.

Who is your favorite author and why?

Hands down, Larry McMurtry. He can write comedy, tradegy, historical epic, you name it. I am a Texan and someone once asked me if I'd seen The Last Picture show. My answer? "Hell, I not only saw it, I lived it!"

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Just do it. If I had listened to the naysayers, I never would have published anything. I would caution new authors NOT to put out a book with errors. Have someone experienced (a real editor, not your mom) edit your books. It is easy to rush into e-pub these days, but slow down and make sure your work is as perfect as possible.

What is your favorite quote?

"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

Hmmm, since so many readers think Hetta is me, and vice versa, I guess it would have to be Hetta.

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

A much younger Bette Midler.

If the book being featured is part of a series, tell us more about it.

Just Add Water, Book 1 (there are four in the series) introduces Hetta Coffey, a woman in search of a boat and a man. The series then recounts the adventures of Hetta as she takes that yacht to Mexico, and runs into a whole mess of hot water.

What does writing mean to you?

It is my greatest accomplishment. A writer does it on her own. No one else can help; they can encourage, mentor, or bankroll you, but in the end it is your baby.

Anything else you want to share with us?

Jinx, tell us something people don't know about you. I live on a boat six months of the year, and I can't swim for squat.

Celebrating Authors' "Famous Question":  Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1.  I am a Texan, but I live in Arizona.

2.  If I had to choose between living in a house or a boat, I'd take the boat.

3.  I am a softie for animals.

4.  I grow great cactus.

5.  I am happy. Wouldn't trade lives with anyone.

Where to connect online
Twitter: @jinxschwartz
Amazon Author page: http://amzn.to/KOW15

Buy on Amazon