Saturday, August 25, 2012

"I'm definitely a morning person." - Author #Interview with @cansail


Tell us about you.
Carol Newman Cronin has sailed and written fiction since she was a child. In 2004, she crowned a lifetime of competitive achievement by winning two races for the USA at the Olympics. A member of the elite US Sailing Team from 2001-2007, she has won numerous national and international sailing championships.

Since retiring from Olympic sailing, Carol has focused on writing and graphic design from her home office in Jamestown, RI. She has also published three books. Between travels for sailing and writing, she and her husband spend as many hours as possible on Narragansett Bay.

Tell us about your book.

Casey Morgan was just about to qualify for the national sailing team when Spencer Harding capsized on top of her. Desperate for a secret weapon, she steamrolls into his casual small town life to get dibs on a fast new sail. As even Casey’s singleminded determination is tested by treachery, divorce, and serious injury, the two sailors merge their opposite approaches to work toward a lofty goal, a berth on the Olympic team.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I wanted to write about the Olympic path before I actually set foot on it... and then I had to go to the Games to finish the book. I wanted to share with my readers the life of an Olympic athlete. As one motto has it, "It's not every four years, it's every day."

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb.
Although this is a love story, the romance is bound up in the reality of jobs, training, and the every day life of the characters. Readers can expect pithy dialogue, competition, and a real salty taste of competitive sailing.

Where do you get your ideas?
I like to think of my imagination as a melting pot of my experiences. It could be a snippet of conversation, a leaf blowing down the street outside my office window, or just something I want to know more about that sparks the initial idea. Then I just follow my characters and try not to get in the way.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
Nichole Bernier, author and mother of five. I will never understand how she finds time to raise a lovely family, run a household, produce a first class novel, and still help others in the Boston writing community and beyond.


What is your current project?
I'm working on a sequel to the two Oliver books, and I also have an idea for a completely new adult novel.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Describing the joy and challenge of competing in a small boat so that non-sailors can understand the appeal.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
My grandmother Daisy Newman, a novelist whose books are still in print 20 years after her death, told me when I was in my twenties, "Don't worry about writing right now. Just live an interesting life."  She didn't publish her first book until she was in her fifties, so she was speaking from experience.

Advice for others: write about what excites you, even if it's not the latest fad. Your enthusiasm will shine through.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
Pantser, for sure. I tried plotting my next project, thinking that I should write that way now that i was published. It was a complete failure; my characters refused to stick to the outline!

Tell us 5 random things about you the person
1. : I'm definitely a morning person.
2. : Food tastes best to me when eaten on a boat.
3. : My best cure for insomnia is to mentally walk through the next stage of a project.
4. : When I ride my "around town" bike, I don't wear a helmet.
5. : I believe most bad attitudes can be cured by a sail or swim.

Where to connect online
Twitter : @cansail
Facebook : Carol Newman Cronin
Website : www.carolnewmancronin.com and livewirepress.com Blog : www.livewirepress.com/wordpress Goodreads : http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2035304.Carol_Newman_Cronin
Other : ,http://www.indiebound.org/search/apachesolr_search/field_contributor_name:Carol+Newman+Cronin

What format does your book(s) come in?
ebook, paperback

Where to buy