Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"I started losing my hair when I was 18" - #interview with @brooksyers


Tell us about you.
I've been a CPA for over 10 years and have always been intrigued by personal finances.  I've been married for over 12 years to my lovely wife, Julie, and together we have a 4-year-old son who keeps us pretty busy.  We are lifelong Texans and aren't afraid to say y'all. 

Tell us about your book.
Two stories run parallel throughout the book.  The first tells the struggle against the bullies and how the geeks form a league of superheroes (The Whiz Kids) using the individual talents that they each possess.  It’s about friendship and fighting back with psychological warfare.  The second story occurs after they have graduated college and returned to their hometown, only to find it besieged by a drug war.  They decide to resurrect the superhero league, now called The Brainiacs, and use the same skills they honed in grade school to fight the gangs.

The parallel structure of the stories provides insight into how their childhood experiences molded their behaviors and traits as adults.     

What inspired you to write this particular story?
There have been so many heartbreaking stories in recent years about kids bringing guns to school and lashing out at bullies with violence.  I began to wonder if there was a way to fight back without using violence.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb.
While some of the subject matter is serious, you will find a great deal of humor throughout the book.  The geeks don't relate to girls all that well and that shows up throughout the story.
 
Where do you get your ideas?
Some come from my own experiences and the rest comes organically as I write.  I've always been creative with both numbers and words, but never attempted to write a book before.  I normally open the laptop and just start typing.  One idea leads to another and before I know it, I've finished a chapter.   

Who are your favorite authors?
James Patterson and Michael Lewis.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Infusing humor into my stories.  In my opinion, I have a great sense of humor and I like that to show up in my writing. 

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
You have to develop your own voice and that must show up in your writing.  You've got to be true to your voice, no matter what others tell you.  That's what makes you unique as a writer. 

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the writer.
1. I have a graduate degree in Criminology
2. : I started losing my hair when I was 18
3. : I love giving speeches
4. : When I was a toddler, I opened the car door while my babysitter was driving and fell out onto the freeway and was almost run over.  Needless to say, my mother fired the babysitter.
5. : Talking about personal finances is one of my favorite things to do

Where to connect online

Where to buy