Monday, August 27, 2012

"I love helping others" - #Interview with @murfett

Tell us about you.
I live in Sharpsburg, MD with my husband Bob, and son Nathan...when he's home from college.  We live in an historic circa 1783 home, which we've been restoring for the last ten years.

I work full time as an Administrative Associate, and squeeze my writing in as often as I can.  I love to swim and travel...hoping to do more traveling soon.

Tell us about your book.
Sullivan's Secret is a paranormal mystery.

Dr. Marie Bartek's life has been uneventful as the local veterinarian on Sullivan's Island, SC, until her ability to see spirits returns after eighteen years. After confiding in her best friend and realizing their interests in the paranormal, they organize a paranormal investigation team called Sullivan's Island Paranormal Society, SIPS. Marie learns to channel her ability through the help of one of the team members, but not before learning the spirits are trying to warn her about the murders taking place on Sullivan's Island. Sullivan's Secret captivates the reader with murder, suspense, and the world of the paranormal.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I wouldn't necessarily say it was inspiration.  It was more me being a ghost hunting/paranormal junkie that gave birth to Marie and the SIPS team.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb.
Readers will fall in love with Marie and the SIPS team.  They each have their own unique qualities and personalities. One would wonder how they mesh, but with their interest in the paranormal...and helping Marie with her "psychic gift", they blend their talents and stand together through all obstacles.

Where do you get your ideas?
It's all pulled from my interests in the paranormal, ghost investigations, psychic mediums- through reading, watching tv shows, and then from the most important place...my imagination.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
I don't have one specific person.  I have to include my husband and family.  Who else supports you through "all" of the disappointments and is thrilled with your successes.

What are you reading right now?
I am doing research for the third book in the series, so it involves ghost hunting books.

Who are your favorite authors?
I enjoy Dan Brown, J.D. Robb, and Sylvia Browne

What is your current project?
I have just finished the second book in the series and I'm working through the final edits, and I'm beginning the research on the third book.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
I would have to say finishing my first book and being published. The icing on the cake is hearing how readers couldn't put Sullivan's Secret down.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Go for it!  Perseverance is the key.  I used to hear that from other people who were doing what they loved, and now I understand what they mean.  There are always stumbling blocks and self-doubt, but you need to knock those thoughts out of your head and press on.  You will realize once you worked through that hurdle, what lies on the other side proves you can do whatever you set your mind to.

I would also tell them to write from their heart and soul, whether it is fiction or nonfiction.  When it comes from somewhere deep inside you, you will always know you are being true to yourself and your story.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
I’m going to say 20% plotter and the rest a panster. I have a good basis for what my story is going to be about and where it will take place. But, that’s what I love about fiction writing, you can change it to suit your mood...and the story. It’s more of a thrill writing the story by the seat of my pants, that’s usually when I get the best rush. There are many people who have a strong opinion on which way is the best, but I think every writer has to do what works best for them.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author.
1. : I love to laugh
2. : I love the ocean...or anything involving water
3. : I love helping others
4. : I daydream...alot
5. : I believe I'm a bit of an anglophile

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
paperback, Kindle, Nook Book