Sunday, August 5, 2012

"I have been told I resemble Jim Carrey" - #Interview with @MartinReaves


Tell us about your book.
Relative Sanity is a bit of a mind-bender, literally.  The story primarily concerns itself with the varying effects of mental damage, whether it be from abuse, genetics, or self-imposed--what is the fallout of long-buried sins against our loved ones, and what happens when the mind can no longer bear the strain of hiding those acts?

What inspired you to write this particular story?
That's a tricky one.  I guess my subconscious was preoccupied with some things I had done in the past and this is how it dealt with those them.  My first novel, Relative Karma, is more of a direct catharsis of those long-ago deeds, a "what if" story in which things do not turn out as well as they did in real life.  Relative Sanity is more or less a continuation of that theme.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
I don't think I can do much better than an excerpt from a recent review:
"Martin Reaves has peeled back the layers of life in a small town; revealing a dense and disturbing vista that may be closer to each of us than we'd be comfortable with revealing to the world...this is a dark tale that many residents of Any-Town USA will be able to relate to, and it claws at the kind of emotional scabs that long-term friendships and relationships can sometimes ignore."

What is your current project?
Sizzling on the front burner is a collection of short fiction titled Dark Thoughts.  But that's a fill-in.  On the back burner, threatening to bubble over, is a project I can't say much about, primarily because it is still a mystery to me.  I have an intense feeling on this one that has been with me for nearly a year.  I've put down about 6,000 words and it is literally scaring the crap out of me...in a good way.  I've set it on simmer simply because I don't want to rush it.  I hope to get back to it by year's end, at which point I will likely not sleep much.  My hope (once it's released and in the public's hands) is that many others will find sleep elusive.

Tell us 5 things about you the person, not the author
1. : I have been a musician most of my life, and currently sing for a blues/soul band here in Northern California.
2. : Although my face is not quite as elastic as his, I have been told I resemble Jim Carrey, and before he was popular, Jerry Lewis.  Not sure what that says about me.
3. : I make the best hummus in the world.  Seriously.
4. : I love yoga and practice as often as I can.
5. : Having been a lifelong junk-food-junkie, I am now an organic food healthnut.  Go figure.

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
eBook for now.  Print and audio coming soon.

Where to buy