Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"I can choose whether to be ticklish or not." - #Interview with @KeithHoughton


Tell us about you.
I live in a small town in north west England with my long-term partner Lynn, and a crazy Cairn Terrier called Jake who rules with an iron paw. Between us (not including the dog) we have three grown-up children and three beautiful baby granddaughters.

I've been writing since the age of 11 and completed my first full-length manuscript at age 18.

Tell us about your book.
'Killing Hope' is my debut crime thriller. It follows a worn-down LAPD detective as he investigates a series of seemingly unconnected homicides, learning as much about himself in the process as he does about the serial killer.

So far, 'Killing Hope' has exceeded 48,000 Kindle downloads and has reached #18 in the US Kindle Store and #37 in the UK Top 100.

What inspired you to write this particular story?

I'd always written science fiction, but the market in the UK was depressed, so I decided to write something I felt comfortable doing. Thrillers (especially in the movies and on TV) was my favourite genre outside of sci-fi. So I sat down, worked out a story (something I'd like to read) and set to.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb.
Feedback on 'Killing Hope' has shown me that every reader finds something different in it. Some love Gabe the main character (so much so that they want to mother him or even marry him!)

Where do you get your ideas?
I find them scrawled on little pieces of neatly folded paper, stuffed in the pockets of jackets I haven't worn in years.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
My partner Lynn. She's my sounding board and grounding to everything sensible. Sometimes I get carried away with the ideas I find on the little bits of paper and Lynn is quick to bring me back down to earth with a bang. I run everything past her for approval - not because I have to, but because I value her wisdom and her opinion (which is infuriatingly right just about most of the time!).

What are you reading right now?
That sentence. Book-wise, nothing; I'm too busy writing the sequel to 'Hope'.

Who are your favorite authors?
Mainly the science fiction Grand Masters, such as Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, Ben Bova and Arthur Clarke.

What is your current project?
'An As Yet Unnamed Sequel' which follows on from the shell-shocking closing events of 'Killing Hope'. This new Gabe Quinn thriller will see our dogged detective pitied against his arch enemy as well as a few of his own demons.
What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Having an International Kindle Bestseller in my bibliography.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way?
If so, will you share with us.
Life always finds a way to throw spanners in the works. My original intention when I wrote my first fantasy novel at age 18 was to forge a career as a writer. I'd just finished college and was already in full swing writing the next book, when my Dad came home from work one day and told me I had a job interview the next. I got the job and my writing got shelved. Then I started a family and my writing got further postponed. It wasn't until I was 31 that I managed to write 'Uth'. Life threw more marbles underfoot, meaning I only managed to write 4 plays, a movie script, several short stories and a crime thriller in the following 14 years. When it comes to setbacks, my advice is
never lose the dream, because one day it may become reality.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
The best writing advice I've ever received wasn't writing advice per se. It came from a mentor of mine during a brief period of working in the financial advisory industry back in the early 90's. He taught me the importance of the KISS Principle

Keep It Simple, Stupid! You can't go far wrong following that line.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
I'm a planster, which is a combination of the two. I like to sketch out a rough framework of a story first, then go wild with the decor.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author
1. I'm a chocoholic.
2. I run an online computer game community for the Battlefield Series.
3. My middle name is William (not after Shakespeare).
4. I can choose whether to be ticklish or not.
5. I don't subscribe to Darwinism.

Where to connect online
Other www.amazon.co.uk/Keith-Houghton/e/B005UMEUJA/

What format does your book(s) come in?
Kindle Download