Thursday, August 16, 2012

An Excerpt of: MAGGIE MAE by @SandyWolters


Genre : Paranormal Romance


Excerpt : As difficult as it was, he had to know more about her and Jimmy. He asked, "How did you meet your husband?" She looked at him and realized that she wanted to tell him. Stuffing the pain back inside, she began to share with him as he had shared with her. "I was going to Arizona State University. My roommate was going to an upscale party in Scottsdale. I hated parties like that. You couldn't be yourself. It had always been my experience that everyone who went to those parties were snobs. I just didn't like putting myself in the position of being judged as a young woman having to work her way through college." A faraway look in her eyes, she reviewed the events in her mind before smiling as she remembered. "Then Carley, my roommate, said, 'free food.' That was all I needed to hear. The words free food are the working college student's mantra." She laughed lightly before continuing, "So I went. I never imagined that one action or decision could change my life forever."

I walked in, and as usual there was a dull drone as people talked about nothing at all interesting so I headed straight for the buffet. I allotted myself a half hour, one hour if the buffet was good. She laughed again.

All of a sudden, I had this strange feeling that someone was watching me so at first I didn_t take as much food as I wanted. Then I thought, what the hell, the food is here, it looks really good so I might as well stack the plate. I_ll never see anybody from this party again anyway. He listened as she spoke, knew this was difficult for her, but she was sharing what was probably one of the most important moments in her life. As she spoke, he couldn't help reaching out and wrapping some of her silky hair in his fingers.

He truly hoped her sharing this story with him was in some way liberating for her because it was killing him. Hearing about the exact moment she met the man she fell in love with made his stomach clench.

She was in deep thought and her face twisted as she tried to come up with just the right words. "It was the strangest thing," she declared. She lifted her hands and looked at them. My palms started to sweat, and the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. She looked at him and laughed, "Are women supposed to admit they have hair on the back of their necks?" He laughed with her.
"I remember thinking at the time that the place must be haunted. That had to be it. You always hear about people experiencing strange physical phenomena just like that when ghosts show up. If I was lucky, I thought, I'd turn around and see Elvis. When I turned around, there Jimmy was. He was looking at me. I don't know what happened, but the room started to rock. I thought we were having an earthquake and stuck my hand out to catch myself." She smiled and looked up at him, "Jeez, Michael, can you believe that I stuck my hand right in the middle of something that looked and smelled like cat food that was past its date? My hand smelled like that stuff for two days. How in the world do people eat something that looks and smells that bad?" Shrugging it off, she said, "Anyway, Jimmy just stared back at me. It's funny, but all I could see were his eyes. I wouldn't have been able to tell you what his face looked like, but those eyes held me. Then all of a sudden, everyone in the room seemed to just disappear. There were no voices, no sounds at all, just Jimmy looking at me and me looking at him." Michael closed his eyes and thought, Oh, Man!

She smiled wistfully at nothing in particular. As he moved closer to me, it felt as if my body were shutting down, like I was having some sort of attack. She giggled, almost oblivious of Michael now as her memories of the past engulfed her. My first thought was, please don't let this man be a ghost. It seemed to take him forever to get to me. My mind was saying put the plate down, wipe this gross stuff off of your hand and introduce yourself, but my body wouldn't move. I just stood there, paralyzed, like an idiot.

All of a sudden, there he was, right in front of me. She smiled softly. "You know what he said to me? He said, "What took you so long? I've been waiting for you." I had no idea what he meant, and I didn't care. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him, but my mouth still wasn't working. I just kept thinking to myself, Thank God, he's not a ghost. She laughed. Can you imagine me not being able to say a thing? It's kind of frightening, isn't it?

He took my plate and sat it down. He grabbed a napkin to wipe my hand off and said, I'm going to really enjoy taking care of you. Then very slowly, he bent to kiss me. I was paralyzed. In my mind I was screaming at my mouth that now was the time to work: please, please work. Absently she reached up to touch her lips as if trying to remember every last detail of the kiss. It was such a soft kiss, but it held more emotion than I'd ever felt before. I remember thinking: who does this guy think he is? Who does he think I am? Who the hell cares? Deep in thought she didn't speak for a long time. Finally, she shrugged. The rest is history. Michael rolled onto his back and sighed. How the hell was a living guy supposed to compete with a memory like that of a dead man?


Tell us 5 Random things about you the person, not the author 
#1 : I love chocolate.
#2 : I enjoy camping in a tent.
#3 : I enjoy fishing.
#4 : I'm an avid reader.
#5 : I;m very eclectic when it comes to reading.  I enjoy most all genres.