Sunday, May 6, 2012

Interview with Nate Granzow

Tell us about you. 
I'm a 24-year-old journalist/novelist and an outdoorsman with a penchant for writing and adventure. I currently work as a magazine editor in Des Moines, Iowa.

Tell us about your book.
The Scorpion's Nest is a thriller set during WWII and the present day. The basic premise centers around a terrible virus discovered by the Nazis: Recognizing its promising lethality, a band of German scientists are sent on a clandestine missionOperation Scorpion's Nest into the American southwest to unleash it into the United States.

70 years later, Scott Kretschmer, an unemployed aircraft mechanic, witnesses a violent bank robbery. Uninterested in money, the thieves only take one thing: the last remaining logbook from the Nazi operation. Scottaided by the beautiful-but-mysterious Melanie Passero and the fun-loving genius, Timothy Alejofinds himself plunged into a race against time as a pharmaceutical company with a Nazi past replicates the virus, planning to release it upon the world as the only provider of the antidote. Exciting, right?

What inspired you to write this particular story?
The Scorpion's Nest began as a novella in a college writing course. After I graduated, I was still so attached to the story-line and the characters that I stuck to writing it. Multiple revisions later, here we are. I'm enormously proud of this book.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
They can expect  a rip-roaring thriller with a touch of historical fiction. With a broken, lovable protagonist, a laugh-riot sidekick, and plenty of Nazis for bad guys, you guys are going to love it.

Where do you get your ideas?
Current events, books I've read, personal experiences, and unaccountable epiphanies that strike me in the middle of the night.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
Undoubtedly my father. As cliche as that answer may seem, he's had a profound influence over my life, and he perpetually impresses me with his creativity, knowledge, loyalty, and kindness.

What are you reading right now?
 I'm currently reading 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'. I enjoy the classics as much as modern thrillers.

Who are your favorite authors?
As I said, I really enjoy classic literature: the works of Doyle, Verne, Kipling, Hemingway, etc. Among modern writers, I enjoy the work of James Rollins, Vince Flynn, and Jack DuBrule among others.

What is your current project?
I'm currently working on my next novel the first in a series, I'm hoping titled, "Cogar's Despair." It follows the exploits of international freelance news correspondent, Grant Cogar. He's a clever man of action with a knack for finding trouble. After being sent to cover the escalating violence and political tension in Seoul, South Korea, he finds that the story he was meant to uncover has nothing to do with politics or war, but is instead hidden in the powdery residue beneath an old friend s nose.

Quietly pursuing a network of violent drug smugglers into downtown Shanghai, Cogar will need to use every ounce of his cunning and cleverness to outwit these hardened criminals, keep his friend and himself alive, and come away with the story of a lifetime.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Probably having my novel selected as one of 1,000 finalists nationwide in Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Awards for 2012. It was remarkably vindicating to know others appreciated my work.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
One of the most difficult obstacles for me in writing is finding the time to do it. Spend all day writing and editing at work, then come home to write some more and expect it to be good or creative? Forget about it.

What is the best writing advice you ve ever received?
I think the best writing advice I've ever received has been 'trust, but verify.' It relates more to journalism than novel writing, but it's proven to be valuable to me in a number of situationsboth in writing and in life.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
More panster than plotter, I think. I start with a ballpark idea of what I'm writing, but it typically evolves into something completely different by the time I'm through. I try to leave some freedom in my writing, especially since writing novels is something of a creative outlet for me.

Tell us something random about you the person, not the author.
1. : I'm a Minnesota Twins fan.
2. : I married my highschool sweetheart.
3. : I enjoy leatherworking and woodworking.
4. : I once aspired to being the lead guitarist for a country band.
5. : I'm an avid hunterI'd love to go on Safari in Africa someday.

Where to connect online
Twitter :
Other : ,http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-scorpions-nest/id460445588?mt=11



What format does your book(s) come in?
Available in all eReader formats.

Where to buy