Sunday, April 15, 2012

Interview with Wakefield Mahon

Tell us about you.
By day I work in the computer field but my passion has always been in the arts, particularly writing, music and theater.

Tell us about your book.
Jade dreams is the first book in a series about a young girl, Karen, and her little brother Timmy.  When Timmy get it into his head that Karen is special, he won't take no for an answer.
Humoring her brother may just get him killed, or it may just prove she was special after all.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Jade Dreams was born out of my love of legends, mythology and religion.  I wanted to explore the culture and religion of places around the globe, starting with Japan and China.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
Hopefully, humor.  I'm very sarcastic and there is a lot of me in Karen.

How old were you when you started writing?
I started writing poetry and short stories when I was 12. I won a few prizes but for the most part kept them to myself until last year.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones? 

I try not to think about genre too much.  I've been most successful at selling horror stories, although I have a few sci-fi and romance stories out there.

What are you reading right now?
At the moment I'm reading The Imago Chronicles by indie author L.T. Suzuki 

What is your current project?
I am currently working on the sequel to Jade Dreams, Turquoise Wind.  I'm also working on a Triad Romance novel, its a bit of a gearshift.

Do you believe in writer's block?
I suffer from the opposite, if I stop writing for a few days, my head will fill up with story content and new plots that I don't have time to write out.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Know the rules and then break them.  Nobody can tell you how to write, but if you are deviating from the norm you should know why you've chosen to do so.

Are you a panster or a plotter? : I often try to plot out my story but then the characters decide they want to go somewhere else.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author
1. : I am multiracial which has deeply affected my whole life.
2. : I prefer my salad without dressing.
3. : One of my daughters and I share an imaginary monkey named Bananas 
4. : I have three cats and a Rottie 
5. : I spent a year addicted to Bleach, the anime not the household product

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
Currently it is an ebook but I'm planning a paperback release around June 

Where to buy your book