Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Independent Voice Celebrates Richard C Hale *Bonus* Plus Review

About the book
FROZEN PAST
Thriller
Available for e-book and in print


Luke is only fourteen. Eliana is his whole world and for a fourteen year old, the burden is immense.

You see, Eliana is being stalked. Stalked by a madman who wants nothing more than to see her dead. The madman knows things that no one should know and sees things that no one should see. He tells them if they say a word to anyone, they will both die. And Luke can’t let that happen.

Eliana’s past is catching up with her and Luke must do anything to save her. Anything. 

Buy on Amazon

About the Author

Tell us about you
Richard C Hale is a thriller and paranormal writer. Author of NEAR DEATH and FROZEN PAST, he has worn many hats over the years including Greens keeper, Bartender, Respiratory Therapist, Musician, and Veteran Air Traffic Controller.

Drawing from his diverse background and interests, his stories weave humor, angst and a touch of the unusual to bring the reader to a place they could not find on their own.

He often tells people:

The story is the story.  Everything else is an English Professor s paycheck.

He currently resides with his beautiful wife and family in North Florida,  where he lives for the next liberating idea.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:
1. I hate brussel sprouts.
2. I love being outdoors but seem to choose professions which keep me locked in the dark.
3. In high school, I hated writing, if you can believe that.
4. I'm just as happy being alone with my thoughts as I am in a crowded party.
5. I'm a radio control aircraft enthusiast.

Favorite Authors
Stephen King, Steve Berry, David Morrell, Harlan Coben, James Patterson, F. Paul Wilson and recently Michael R. Hicks and Patrick Lee.

Where to connect online


My Review of FROZEN PAST:

Entertaining all around!

This is the first Richard Hale novel I've read, and I've found a new author.  Along with my favorite NY Times Best-Selling authors, I will check out Hale's other novels and look forward to future releases.

Not normally a person drawn to the young adult genre, I wasn't sure what I would think of this book.  But don't let the book blurb fool you.  This is a thriller, through and through.

The story is told through multiple viewpoints - the teenagers Luke and Ellie, the killer and the police detective Jaxon Jennings.

When it comes to the teenagers, and their group of friends, Hale did an excellent job in capturing the essence of being that age.  It's as if he were that age just yesterday the way he has them interact and think.

The book starts out with an arranged meeting for a snowball fight between neighborhood teen boys, but Hale's writing voice pulled me through.  It didn't take long for a gruesome discovery, which cut the game short.  From this point, he really had me. 

The killer is one twisted, and sick man with his affection set on young kids.  He lures them by whispering out from bushes, also covered from the darkness of night "help me" - creepy.  With more deaths, and more gruesome findings, the kids still think they can handle things on their own.  Even, when Luke and Ellie are befriended by a strange man on Facebook, who is obviously the killer, they believe they can handle the situation. 

In the meantime, with the bodies of young boys being discovered, Detective Jaxon Jennings and his partner Sally are assigned the case.  It seems whenever they turn around Luke and his friends are somehow connected with the findings, but with nothing concrete tying them to the crimes.  This leads the detectives, eventually, to seek help from the FBI, which results in the involvement of Jennings' ex-wife.

Hale created a believable and unique character in Detective Jaxon Jennings.  He's not the cookie-cutter, cardboard model - obsessed with his career, single or going through a rough divorce, or divorced because of the job.  Jennings, although, a good cop at heart, is broken.  His past pushes him to the bottle to numb any feelings he has, and proves to be something he needs to work on if he's going to solve the case.  I loved how Hale weaved Jennings' past into the plot of this book.  (You'll have to read the book to find out what this is.)

Hale captures emotion, seemingly effortlessly, and in turn this created reactions from me.  During this read, I experienced a spectrum of emotion - anger, fear, and heartbreak to name a few.  I even found myself "talking" to the characters more than once.  When an author can elicit these reactions, I consider this a true talent.

With unexpected turns at every corner, and an extra twist at the end, I will definitely revisit another Hale novel.  Although, I had a hard time deciding who my favorite character was, I would like to see more of Jennings and his partner moving forward.