Sunday, March 11, 2012

Interview with Nadina Boun

Tell us about you.
I am the rebel, the lonesome warrior and the butterfly.
Truly, I am. I am a poet and a writer.

Tell us about your book.
My latest book is a collection of 68 poems called A Heartstorm, which came out on Amazon end of November 2011.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Well, I have been writing poetry since I was 14. This is a collection picked by three different people out of a pool of 165 poems.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
They can expect to find in A Heartstorm poems on love, its labors, hurts and dreams, dark poetry about pain, disappointment and betrayal, inspirational poems that I wrote at random like the fallen warrior standing back up again.

How old were you when you started writing?
I started at around 14-15. It all began with one poem.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
Since 2000, I tried to expand into novels, then short stories and in 2008 began writing plays.

Do you think you would ever branch out into another genre? If so which one(s).
Everything is possible. Yes, perhaps I will.

Where do you get your ideas?
Strangely, they come to me. With poetry however it is a feeling being transmitted on paper, at times embellished, at times extreme.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
Bruce Lee 

What are you reading right now?
I recently finished reading Aleph by Paulo coehlo.

Who are your favorite authors? 
I love Shakespeare, Khalil Gibran, Moliere, Baudelaire, to name a few. I loved Anne Rice's collection and Harry Potter oh well!

What is your current project?
I am working on a collection of short stories.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
To make the reader feel, react, dream and get inspired through the words.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
Oh yeah. I have submitted to contests and magazines for years and was rejected every time. I finally gave up 3 years ago, but I kept on writing. I cannot stop writing. So there, something was saying No, do not stop.

How did you overcome these setbacks?
I opted to go the self publishing route and spare myself more spits in the face.

Do you believe in writer's block?
I suppose when writing a long novel, which I have not done fully, one could encounter such a thing.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Believe in your work, or take pride in it. Let go of the work once it is done.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Sadly we do need a stamp of approval in this industry, but I advise any writer not to seek a stamp but to believe in their work instead.

What is more important to you, plot or character?
I believe both should have some sort of development in a story. Good characters going nowhere is not so great to read and poor characters doing grand things is not so believable either.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
I guess it would be a panster.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author
1. : I am the rebel, I hate to follow
2. : I am the butterfly, always needing a change of scenery 
3. : I am the lonesome warrior, always standing up again 
4. : My muse posseses me as opposed to the other way around 
5. : I think I have lived on earth before 

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
paperback, kindle 

Where to buy your book online