Saturday, February 18, 2012

Interview with Paul Anthony

Tell us about you.
I have written written a number of fictional novels and a collection of poetry which appear in Print, Kindle, ipad, epub, and PDF download format. Apart from being a Goodreads author, I am also an Amazon author and a 'smashwords' author appearing in multiple download formats. In the past I have been published by a Vanity House and a Traditional Publishing House  but some years ago I decided on staying as an independent self publishing author. I have a store front on the 'Lulu' website which is my primary retail printer. I have written both television and film scripts either on my own, or with the award winning screenwriter, Nick Gordon. Paul Anthony is my pseudonym. I was born in Southport, Lancashire, in the United Kingdom.

The son of a soldier, I settled in Carlisle before joining the Police as a Cadet. Joining Cumbria police at the age of 19, I served throughout Cumbria. As a detective, I served in Cumbria CID, the Regional Crime Squad in Manchester, the Special Branch, the anti terrorist branch, and other national agencies in the UK. I am the holder of an Honours Degree in Economics and Social Sciences, a Diploma in Management and a Diploma in Office Management. The Chairman of a Registered Charity, 'Champ's Camp', I am also a supporter of the Dyslexia Foundation UK who recently selected my novel 'The Fragile Peace' to be the first book in their audio library. I am a keen promoter of 'A1 Casting North' which works with the 'Help for Heroes' Charity to provide job opportunities for ex military in the acting field, often providing both 'extras' and people with 'specific' military skills required by film and television production companies.... When not writing, I enjoy reading a wide range of works, reviewing same, and playing guitar badly. I also enjoy running, kettlebells, athletics, keeping fit, dining out and dining in, keeping Koi carp, and following politics, economics and social sciences. I am married and have three adult children and five grandchildren.

Tell us about your book.
I've written a number of books but I'd like to concentrate on THE LEGACY OF THE NINTH. This is my back cover blurb for the book:
Packed with action, stacked with intrigue, and sprinkled with ingenious conspiracy, The Legacy of the Ninth is a whirlwind thriller of bitter conflict and religious mystique, echoing through the centuries of time from the desert wastes of the Roman Empire to the luscious green valley of the River Eden and the land of the Lakes. Behold, the noble Domitian: a valiant Roman Centurion who witnesses an appalling act of mass suicide in the Negev desert, and Hussein who plunders a Jewish artefact from its rightful owner. Centuries later, Boyd, the detective, tries to find out why events in Masada are now so closely linked with nearby Hadrian's Wall. Indeed, against all the odds, Boyd realises that the links are so strong that prospects of peace in the Middle East are in danger of collapsing...Things can't get any worse, can they?



So, following the sacking of Jerusalem, the work begins with the Tenth Roman Legion laying siege to King Herod's mountain fortress, MASADA, in the Negev Desert and details, as part of the plot, the events which brought about the demise of the remaining zealots. But a young man crafts THE TABLET OF MASADA and this is stolen by one the Legion and handed down through the Centurion's family to a member of the Ninth Roman Legion. When the 9th Legion visit Cumbria, in the UK, there is a battle with the Picts of Caledonia and the Masada Tablet is lost forever.... Hadrian's Wall is erected but centuries later the tablet is recovered when flood defences are enhanced.... and at this point the work moves move from 1st century AD to modern times when the Tablet of Masada becomes central to a modern day terrorist plot. .... It is best described, I'm told, as historic fiction. The book begins slowly, in  the first chapter, as the plot and reason for the plot is laid down and then gathers pace as the pages turn. You cannot write historic fiction correctly unless you carefully combine the elements of data and imagination.


What inspired you to write this particular story?
I live a mile from Hadrian's Wall in Cumbria and always wanted to write a story relevant to the wall. Researching MASADA throws up similarities between the two constructions What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb. : Well, quite a few five stars from the Goodreads community.

How old were you when you started writing?
Young

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
I've written historic fiction, general fiction, thriller, espionage and poetry. Whilst I am probably an expert in police procedure I do not write police procedurals.

Do you think you would ever branch out into another genre? If so which one(s).
All genres are open but I cannot ever see myself writing about vampires and werewolves. I combine my imagination with what I know and only write about what I know.

Where do you get your ideas?
Experiences past and present, travelling and talking to people. Two of my books have been inspired by visits  to other countries in Europe

Who is your greatest inspiration?
My father.

What are you reading right now?
A thesaurus - I read part of a thesaurus every day to exercise the mind and increase word power. I did read THE CAHOKIAN last week by Israeli author ZOE SAADIA

Who are your favorite authors?
Gerald Seymour, Terrence Strong, Jack Higgins, Max Hastings, JP Taylor, and many more 

What is your current project?
I'm currently writing a book entitled MOONLIGHT SHADOWS. It is the second in the DAVIES KING series and is a story crafted around corruption at government level involving police and intelligence officers.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Being able to place on paper that which is in the mind to tell.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way?
If so, will you share with us. : Yes, my first work was a vanity book and did fabulously well despite al one hears about same. Published in 1996 it is still selling in 2011 - 25,000 copies but I have negotiated the termination of the contract in order to rewrite the book and make it availnbale as an ebook. My second book was a 'commissioned' work from a traditional house. Six months after publication, I did not receive the commission or anything else when the company went bust. This caused me to move into screen plays for a while before I returned to books as a self published author. I now write in medias for books, tv and film

How did you overcome these setbacks?
I got on with life

Do you believe in writer's block?
I do believe that writer's block occurs when the mind isn't truly focused on the matter in hand. I don't think it's a block. It's a temporary mind disturbance. I think it's important for people to get away from the desk and take some physical activity and enjoy life. Writing is great but it's not the holy grail of life and if you try to do too much life will pass you by before you know it.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Read a thesaurus regularly and improve your knowledge of the English language.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Read, think, research, plot, character, read. Don't get hung up on it all and enjoy the journey.

What is more important to you, plot or character?
The plot needs to be good but will not stand up unless the characters gel and underpin the story.

Preferred POV to write.
I write POV from all angles  

Preferred POV to read.
Depends on the work

Tell us 5 Random things about you the person, not the author
1. : I support Liverpool football club
2. : I love Portugal
3. : I've never been to the Moon but see it every day
4. : I enjoy astronomy
5. : We’re missing one key thing about you.

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
All 10, print and ebooks from Lulu, kindle, apple and smashwords

Where to buy