Sunday, February 26, 2012

Interview with Neil D. Ostroff

Tell us about you.
I'm an author of dark, noir thrillers, romance thrillers, and middle grade sci/fi and paranormal novels. I was raised in a rural town outside of Philadelphia and have been a published author for more than twenty years. My science fiction and fantasy stories have appeared in numerous presses, zines, and websites. I have several published novels available at all online booksellers. I am an avid boater, gardener, and poker player when not working on my novels.

Tell us about your book.
I've written eight novels in several genres but my latest release is titled, DREAM TRAVELER. Here's the blurb-300,000 years from now, human spirits called Phelastians are finally making peace with ape-like creatures called Dwellers. Formality requires that a twenty-first century Earthling be present as witness to the treaty. A Phelastian travels back in time and recruits Whitmore Middle School_s newest student, Jamie Richards. When a Dweller overlord sabotages the celestial link connecting Jamie to her own world, she vanishes from the signing, crumbling the negotiations, and sending her on a series of mind-bending, alternate-reality adventures. Can Jamie save trillions of lives, prevent a war that has already occurred, and stop herself from meeting her self, all while attempting to stabilize creation and find her way home?

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I've always been interested in dreams and their possible meanings. I wanted to explore what it would be like to travel to other dimension while alseep.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
It may change the way you think about the dreams you had last night.

How old were you when you started writing?
I think I was in the womb. I've been writing since I learned to pick up a pencil.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
I write in several genres, but lately I've been concentrating on sci/fi/ fantasy. I also have books written in the thriller and literary fiction genres.

Where do you get your ideas?
My ideas come to me like whispers in the wind. I've been known to jump out of my chair to grab pen and paper and write down a thought or idea.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
My father.

What are you reading right now?
I do a lot of skimming through old books. If they can keep my attention past the tenth page, I'll read the whole thing. Right now, I'm reading non-fiction; MAN'S QUEST FOR MEANING.

Who are your favorite authors?
Steven King is by far the author who has influenced me most in my life. I was a young kid when he was hitting it big and I followed his rise through the years.

What is your current project?
I am currently working on a mind-bending thriller about the possibility that everything around us, our entire existence, is the figment of an insane alien's imagination. It's titled: IMAGINATION.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Before the industry changed and the marketplace became nearly impossible to break into, I got signed to a major, NY literary agency. I spent nearly four years with them and had many close calls. Alas, we parted ways about a year ago.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
Parting with my agent was tough, but now with epublishing and the interent I've sold more books than I probably ever would have had I been published the traditional route.

How did you overcome these setbacks?
I continued to write. Never stopped!

Do you believe in writer's block?
It doesn't exist for me. And I'm not being arrogant.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Write something everyday even if it sucks.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Never give up the dream of publishing and selling your books. If you're passionate, you never will.

What is more important to you, plot or character?
I love developing them both to their fullest.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
I guess... a plotter.

Preferred POV to write.
I've written equally first, second, and third person. Depends on the tone of my novel and how I want to present it.

Preferred POV to read.
I like them all.

Tell us 5 Random Things about you the person not the author
1. : I love poker.
2. : I write in the morning and market in the afternoon.
3. : I'm a bartender.
4. : I spend several weeks a year in the Florida Keys.
5. : I exercise religiously.

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
ebooks and paperback 

Where to buy your book
Amazon