Sunday, February 12, 2012

Interview with Marie Symeou

Tell us about you.
I have been writing since I was very young. Started out making little magazines as a child and then began to write short stories. Then in my teens I got into music and started writing song lyrics. I had always wanted to write novels but didn't start writing one until I was in my mid 20s. I've written a few contemporary novels but my favorite genre in which to write is fantasy and paranormal, mainly historical fantasy.

Tell us about your book.
Frozen In Time is a historical fantasy/vampire romance with a slight twist on Greek and Celtic mythology. It is about an ancient Greek vampire searching for the reincarnated soul of his dead wife whilst trying to find a way to destroy the evil vampire that made him. It's a novel of soul mates, reincarnation and how the bond of love can never be broken.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
I want to concentrate on historical fantasy and paranormal fiction for the time being. However, I do have another novel out, a coming of age drama set in 1980s London entitled Age Of Dreams. This is also available in both ebook and print formats.

Where do you get your ideas?
Great literature, music, history, movies, art and nature.

Who are your favorite authors?
Anne Rice, Mary Shelley, Philippa Gregory and the Brontes.

What is your current project?
The sequel to Frozen In Time.

Do you believe in writer’s block?
Yes. I've suffered from it a lot. I've now learned to just step away from the writing for a while and do something else instead, like sing or write lyrics, read or watch a movie or two. This soon gets the creative juices flowing again.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Write what you are passionate about and believe in yourself.

Preferred POV to write.
I write both, but I think I prefer first person because it is more immediate.

Tell us 5 Random things about you the person, not the author
1. : I love cats
2. : I'm a chocoholic
3. : I hate crowds and don't like going out much. I suppose I am quite the recluse these days. It wasn't always like that.
4. : I dislike the sun and prefer cloudy days.
5. : I love nature and am particularly drawn to trees. I feel so energized around them.

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
ebook and paperback

Where to buy your book
Amazon