Sunday, January 22, 2012

Interview with Pavarti K Tyler

Pavarti K Tyler is an artist, wife, mother and number-cruncher who has been committed to causing trouble since her first moment on this Earth. Her eclectic career has flirted with Broadway, Teaching, Law Firms and the IRS. Author of many short stories, Pavarti spans genres from Horror and Erotica all the way to Fantasy. Currently Pavarti is hard at work establishing her Indie Publishing Company Fighting Monkey Press.


Pavarti K Tyler's novel Two Moons of Sera is a Fantasy/Romance and will be released in a serial format beginning this fall.  Her next novel Shadow on the Wall is scheduled for release in early 2012. Shadow on the Wall is Book One of The SandStorm Chronicles, the saga of Recai Osman — businessman, philosopher, Muslim and . . . superhero.


What genre do you write? 
I live genre free.  I love being an Indie Author because it means I can explore what excites me.  My published novella, Consumed By Love, is erotic horror while the book I'm releasing Nov 1 would be classified as YA by most people.  I don't use the YA label because I write for adults but it's definitely written with the fun and accessibility of YA in mind.  My next novel is about a Muslim Superhero so, I'm kind of schizophrenic in my genres J

Tell us about your book. Two Moons of Sera is my crazy little brain child.  Serafay is the main character and is the first Sualwet live birth in 300 years.  Her mother Nilafay had been abused, experimented on, caged and tortured by the Erdlanders.  She escaped, pregnant with a hybrid child with both Sualwet and Erdlander genetics.  In 2MOS we follow Serafay from her isolated life with her mother into the Erdlander world where she discovers who and what she really is.


2MOS is a fantasy romance written in the style of YA but intended for adults.  I'm releasing it in serial format. In the past many authors, including Charles Dickens, released books in this way, publishing a chapter at a time in magazines.  This time, I'll be releasing it in regular installments which the reader will receive for free once they purchase the first installment.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Two Moons of Sera was inspired by a picture I found on tumblr (attached).  It haunted me and I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Originally I was going to write it as a collaboration with a dear friend of mine, but I just kept writing and writing and it took on a life of its own before she had a chance to even add a sentence.

How old were you when you started writing?
I won the creative writing contest in fourth grade for my short story "Bat's aren't Blind," a lovely little vampire story that will never be taken out of my mother's basement.               

What are you reading right now? 
I just started LK Rigel's Space Junque and I'm really enjoying it.  Its sci-fi romance but also a really interesting world to follow along.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the adventure and keep sneaking my iphone into the bathroom to read and avoid my kids J

Who are your favorite authors? 
My favorite author is Anais Nin. When I first read her I thought there was no one out there who looked at the world anything like how I did.  Then I picked up Under A Glass Bell and was blown away by the amount of beauty and crazy one author could pack into such short pieces.  She made me catch my breath, cry, feel a little less alone and a little more insane all at the same time.

What is your current project? 
Right now I'm putting the final touches on Shadow on the Wall which will be released in early 2012.  Shadow is the hardest, most challenging writing project I've ever taken on.  I'm immensely proud of it and excited to share it with everyone once my editor (Swift Ink Editor) gives her ok.
Shadow on the Wall is the story of Recai Osman: Muslim, philosopher, billionaire, and ...superhero?
I'm also working on Part Three of Two Moons of Sera (Part Two is done and will be released Jan 2012) and percolating on my next project DEVOUR

What is more important to you, plot or character?
Actually, neither.  The first thing to solidify for me was the world.  In Two Moons of Sera there are two distinct races: the Erdlanders and the Sualwet.  The image which inspired the story began the creation of the Sualwet people, their lives, their politics, their history.  The more I lost myself in daydreaming the more the character of Nilafay solidified.  She was intriguing but not the story I wanted to tell.  By the time I dreamed up the idea of telling Serafay's story, the two cultures were so rich in my mind I just couldn't stop writing. Wanna know if you're a Sualwet or and Erdlander?  I made a quiz!

Are you a panster or a plotter?
I'm a plot-less plotter.  I know the arc of the story and the general plot points I want to hit, but I also like to let the characters take the lead.  I think if you have a really well developed world and three-dimensional characters sometimes its fun to let them surprise you.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person not the author.
1) I'm a Tax Accountant in my real life.
2) My degree is in dramaturgy.
3) I'm terrified of Alan Cummings ever since seeing the commercials of him in Cabaret.
4) I love the combination of peanut butter and orange juice.
5) There's a character in 2MOS who's inspired by my real life.  Bet you can't guess which one.

Where can people connect with you online?
Tumblr (18+)

What format does your book(s) come in: E-book only while it's being released.  Once the full novel is available a print copy will be published as well.

Where can people buy your book(s).