Sunday, January 15, 2012

Interview with Kathleen Smith

Tell us about you.
I'm a wife, mother of 3 and an author. I like to horseback ride, read, watch tv and be with my family.

Tell us about your book.
My book is titled Marriages & Miscarriages:One Woman's Personal Experience.

It is about my personal experience on how I got through my 3 miscarriage. How they effected me physically and emotionally. How I used them to make my marriage stronger and get closer to God.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I wanted to write a book about miscarriages for a couple of years. At first I thought it would be something my husband and I could do together but he didn't want to so for years it was just something I thought about. I really didn't think it was something I could do on my own. It scared me to write a book knowing I've never done it. One day I had the chance to help a friend of mine after she had her own miscarriage and that made me wondering how many other women go through miscarriages and have no one to talk with. I then realized it wasn't just something I wanted to do but something I felt the need to do.


What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb. 
When a reader reads my book they can expect honesty. They will most likely feel like they are sitting down with me and having a conversation. There is a good chance they will feel the pain I went through and possibly cry a little. They will end up knowing a little bit about me and my emotional struggles through each of my miscarriages.

How old were you when you started writing?
39 

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
This is my first and only book at this point.

Do you think you would ever branch out into another genre? If so which one(s).
Right now I really couldn't say. My husband keeps telling me I should write another book. Apparently he thinks I'm good at it, but there just isn't anything that I feel the need to write about.

Where do you get your ideas?
I got my ideas for my book from my own personal experience. Everything I wrote about I really went through.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
I don't know if I have anyone who really inspires me, but I do know my husband backed me up 100%.

What are you reading right now?
At the moment I am reading a Nora Roberts novel ( 2 books in one ) After that I believe I plan to read BloodLines by Richelle Mead.

Who are your favorite authors?
Favorite Authors: Stephanie Meyers, Nora Roberts, Richelle Mead and Lenora Worth 

What is your current project?
At this time I am not working on any projects.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
My greatest accomplishent as a writer would be the fact that I was able to get my feeling out and on paper. I was able to see all that I really went through with each of my 3 miscarriages and how I used them to make my marriage stronger and how I let them make my relationship with God stronger. I didn't realize all that I had gone through till I sat down and actually started to write. In a way I guess you could say even though I wrote my book so I could help other women who are going through miscarriages, in the process I ended up helping myself as well.

Do you believe in writer's block?
Yes, I believe a writer can get writers block. I think when that happens they need to just stop and go back to it another day when they have a fresh mind and fresh thoughts.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received? 
Don't give up and just write about what you know.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Don't give up. Write what you know and what's on your heart. Your heart will never let you down.

What is more important to you, plot or character?
Oh, Tough one! A good plot will make you not want to put the book down, but on the other hand depending on how the characters act you are either going to love them or hate them.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
Panster.

Preferred POV to write.
First person

Preferred POV to read.
Third person

Tell us 5 Random Things about you the person, not the author
1. : I love Dark chocolate
2. : Grew up in Brooklyn, NY
3. : I love animals
4. : Love horseback riding
5. : I'm short

Where to connect online


What format does your book come in?
Kindle, Nook and paperback 

Where to buy you book