Monday, December 19, 2011

Interview with Adrienne Thompson

Tell us about you.
I am a mother of three and a nurse with a passion for writing. I have lived an interesting life of ups and downs and I am a natural story-teller.

Tell us about your book.
Bluesday is an inspirational novel which chronicles the trials and triumphs of a young blues singer. Bobbie Brooks is living the life she's always dreamed of. A life full of music, success, and love--or so it seems. Suddenly, her perfect world shatters, leaving her alone, broken, and penniless. In order to heal, Bobbie must confront the demons of both her past and present. Will she be strong enough to move into her future and make a new start with an old flame?

Bluesday is a marriage of inspiration, music, and romance.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
My love of music and romance inspires everything I write. Initially, I knew I wanted to write a book about a singer. After attending a couple of awesome blues concerts, I chose to make the heroine a blues singer.
What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn_t on the book blurb. : Real characters and raw emotions.

How old were you when you started writing?
I remember that my first attempt at writing a book was when I was in 4th grade. Can't remember what the book was about though, lol.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
Everything I've written is pretty much in the inspirational romance category, but I'd love to write a suspense thriller.

Where do you get your ideas?
Life experiences- my own and those of the people around me. I can't deny divine inspiration as well.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
Love.

What are you reading right now?
I'm embarrassed to say that I'm behind in my reading. Been too busy writing!

Who are your favorite authors?
James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, John Grisham, Terry McMillan 

What is your current project?
Working on publishing Been So Long, my second novel and writing Lovely Blues, the follow up to Bluesday.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Connecting to readers and knowing that they saw a little of themselves in the characters.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way? If so, will you share with us.
Finances! Being an indie author is hard on the purse strings. Incidentally, I am taking donations, lol.

How did you overcome these setbacks?
I just keep moving forward. There is always a way even when it seems like there is not.

Do you believe in writer's block?
Never had it, thankfully. But I believe it could happen.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Write every day, even if it's just a few words.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Never give up! Now is the season for indie authors! If you have a story to tell, there's no excuse not to tell it!

What is more important to you, plot or character?
I think both are equally important. You can't have one without the other.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
Panster all the way! lol!

Preferred POV to write.
First person

Preferred POV to read.
Doesn't matter 

5 Random things about you the person, not the author
1. : I am an avid ballroom dancing spectator (even before Dancing With the Stars) 
2. : I love Italian food 
3. : I love Latin music 
4. : I'll be a very young and hip grandmother for the first time in February!
5. : I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan - always have been 

Where to connect online

What format does your book(s) come in?
Nook, Kindle, paperback 

Where to buy your books