Sunday, November 20, 2011

It's a Book Launch: Dark Mind by Jennifer Chase

Welcome Jennifer Chase to Celebrating authors. I was honored to meet her through her blog, Twitter and Facebook and we have become good friends.

Tell us about you.
I hold a bachelor degree in police forensics and a master’s in criminology.  I was born and raised in California and currently reside with my husband, two dogs, and two incorrigible cats.  My academic background has helped me to write in the thriller and crime fiction genres.

What genre do you write?
I write thrillers, suspense, and police procedurals. 

Tell us about your book.
DARK MIND is the third book in my Emily Stone Series.  However, you don’t need to read the first book because I write all my books to stand-alone. 

Emily stone hunts down serial killers and child abductors anonymously and then covertly emails the forensic evidence to the local cops. So now, Emily Stone is hot on the trail of an abducted child and the clues take her to the beautiful island paradise of Kauai.  It doesn’t take long for her to get thrown into the middle of murder, mayhem, and conspiracies.  A serial killer stalks the island, taking women in a brutal frenzy of ancient superstitions and folklore.  Local cops are stumped without any clues or suspects.  Can Emily find the killer before it’s too late? 


What inspired you to write this particular story?
I’ve loved the island of Kauai.  During my last visit, inspiration struck.  I began thinking about all of the possibilities of a mystery and a serial killer, and then everything just fell into place for this story.

What can readers expect when they open your book?  Give us something that isn’t on the book blurb. 
In DARK MIND, I hope readers enjoy the action sequences and taking a journey into the mind of a serial killer as well as the analytical mind of the serial killer hunter.

How old were you when you started writing?
I’m not sure the exact age, but I loved creative writing when I was about 12 years old.  I enjoyed making up stories about animals and adventures for kids. 

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others?  Which ones?
My books are mostly thriller oriented, but there’s always a twist of a mystery quality to them as well.  In DARK MIND, it has a whodunit twist.

Do you think you would ever branch out into another genre?  If so, which one(s).
I’ve been thinking about this for a long time.  I really enjoy horror stories as well as the paranormal.  I’m toying with several short horror stories that I will be combining into one book.  We’ll see where that takes me.

Where do you get your ideas?
I love this question!  My ideas and inspiration come from many things like my surroundings, the news, people I’ve met, my academic background, and even how I feel about a specific place that I’ve never visited before.  I think my imagination is often warped and in overdrive at times!

What are you reading right now?
The Night Killer by Beverly Connor.

Who are your favorite authors?
There are too many to list all of them, but I will name a few: Dean Koontz, Tess Gerritsen, Stephen King, Jefferey Deaver, James Patterson, JT Ellison, David Baldacci, Vince Flynn, and the list goes on…

What is your current project?
Before I finished DARK MIND, I jotted down ideas for the next thriller in the series with a working title, Revenge for Justice.

Do you believe in writer’s block?
Nope.  My opinion is that if you have writer’s block then you didn’t have a complete story idea to begin with.  I’ve had times where a particular scene was difficult to write, but not blocked.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Write what you love, not what you think will sell.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
Write… write… write! Hone your craft and continue to grow as a writer.  And, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it!

Are you a panster or a plotter?
You caught me.  I confess, I’m a plotter.  I outline my story like a detailed road map with profiles on each of the characters, but that doesn’t mean you can’t venture down any dirt road when you feel like it.

Tell us 5 random things about you the person not the author.
1) I always write barefooted at my desk, with the exception of wearing socks on really cold days.           
2) I’m the most relaxed and happy when I’m enjoying a nature hike.
3) I spend much of my spare time training my Labradors and photographing the outdoors.
4) I hate coffee, but love coffee ice cream.
5) I’m building up my Nancy Drew Mystery collection from scratch again.  I miss them from childhood.

Where can people connect with you online?

What format does your book(s) come in?
Both e-book and paperback.

A Serial Killer Plagues an Island Paradise.


Vigilante detective Emily Stone continues her covert pursuits to find serial killers and child abductors, all under the radar while shadowing police investigations.


Emily searches for an abducted nine-year-old girl taken by ruthless and enterprising slave brokers. Following the clues from California to the garden island of Kauai, she begins to piece together the evidence and ventures deep into the jungle.


It doesn’t take long before Emily is thrown into the middle of murder, mayhem, and conspiracy. Locals aren’t talking as a serial killer now stalks the island, taking women in a brutal frenzy of ancient superstitions and folklore. Local cops are unprepared for what lies ahead. In a race against the clock, Emily and her team must identify the killer before time runs out. 



Where can people buy your book(s).  Be sure to list the full link.