Saturday, November 19, 2011

Interview with George Sirois

Tell us about you.
I was born in New York City in 1976. After living in Poughkeepsie, NY and Richmond, VA, I moved back to NYC in 1994 and stayed there until August of 2011. I currently live in St. Louis, MO with my wife and dog, and am working toward my Masters in Communication Arts while I continue to sell my eBook and paperback "Excelsior" and rewrite my 2002 novel "From Parts Unknown."

Tell us about your book
Excelsior is a science-fiction young adult novel that was finished in 2010. The main character was created in 1992 as part of a universe that was first developed in 1985 with several friends in grade school.

The summary for the book is as follows
Created by high school senior Matthew Peters, Excelsior - savior of faraway planet Denab IV - is becoming an Internet sensation as the main character of a popular online comic strip.  But before Matthew can enjoy his burgeoning success, a beautiful older woman arrives at his school and tells him that not only is she from the planet Denab IV, but that Excelsior's lifeforce lives within him.  Now, with Excelsior's enemies gathering, Matthew realizes he is the key to Earth's survival and Denab IV's salvation...

What inspired you to write this particular story?

I wanted to not only tell the definitive origin story for a character I created in 1992, but I also wanted to use the other half of the main character as a tribute to my cousin Matthew Henkel. Matt died in 2005 just before his 25th birthday, and I wanted to put him in a position where my own personal hero got to save two different planets.

What can readers expect when they open your book? Give us something that isn't on the book blurb.
Readers can expect a new spin on a familiar type of tale. When I grew up, I found myself attracted to a lot of different stories in film, television and books that were modeled after Campbell's "Hero's Journey" template. So this was my chance to tell the kind of story that I grew up loving, the kind of story that we don't see very much of without a heaping dose of cynicism attached to it.

How old were you when you started writing?
I was 9 years old when I started developing this universe of mine with friends.

Do you stick with one genre, or have you branched out to others? Which ones?
Mainly science-fiction, but I'm getting into writing young adult and I've also written a little bit of comedy.

Do you think you would ever branch out into another genre? If so which one(s).
I do think so, yes. The quickest way to get bored is to keep telling the same types of stories.

Where do you get your ideas?
From the movies I grew up watching. They gave me such a thrill that I wanted to give that same kind of feeling to younger readers.

Who is your greatest inspiration?
I'd have to say George Lucas. The man took so many elements from his childhood and re-invented it and created his own wonderful universe.

What are you reading right now?
Darwin's Children by Natasha Larry Who are your favorite authors? : William Goldman, Douglas Adams, J.K. Rowling, Peter Biskind, Matthew Stover, Mario Puzo, Joseph Campbell, Bill Carter, Ann Charles, Kevin Smith 

What is your current project?
Rewriting my 2002 novel "From Parts Unknown"

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Seeing "Excelsior" connect with so many readers. The reviews I've gotten back so far for it have been wonderfully encouraging.

Have you experienced any setbacks for your writing along the way?  If so, will you share with us.
I get in my own way all the time. With the exception of writing my first draft of "Excelsior" in only 30 days, it's very difficult for me to get into the groove of writing every single day.

How did you overcome these setbacks?
I push myself through it, and a big part of it is writing at a coffee shop. If I'm writing in public, for some reason, it seems to loosen me up and push me to create more.

Do you believe in writer's block?
Absolutely.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Don't be afraid to write crap. Writing is rewriting and you can't rewrite from nothing.

What is the best advice you have for other writers?
The same as above.

Are you a panster or a plotter?
More of a plotter, but I'm trying to get into the habit of being a pantser so I'll get more done.

Preferred POV to write.
Third person

Preferred POV to read.
Third person

Tell us five random things about you the person, not the author
1. : The first piece of music I ever remember hearing was the Star Wars Overture by John Williams.
2. : My mother, sister and I moved to Richmond, VA, where I lived from 1988 - 1994.
3. : I was originally very much into acting, but went through a 5-year period of stage fright, only getting back on the stage to perform a sketch I had written.
4. : I am a film score lover at heart. I'm constantly collecting as many as possible and it does nothing but feed me creatively and emotionally.
5. : My father got me into sports at a very young age. He pointed me in the direction of being a Yankees and Giants fan, and it's been a lifelong dream of mine for us to be in the same room celebrating a Giants Super Bowl win. (We still have yet to make that happen.)

Where to connect with you online

What format does your book(s) come in?
eBook and Paperback

Where to buy your book